IGEN as PROOFING SYSTEM for offset Press?

Chazman

Hey guys,

I figure this is a neat discussion topic. Does anyone running an Igen right now also use the machine as a proofer for their Offset press (Komori, Heidelberg etc)....

If so what are your results?
Did you have to get special profiling done? - if so - how did it turn out? It seems colour is a moving target on the igen, and sustainable proofing is a pipedream...but stranger things have happened.

Thanks

Chazman

Re: IGEN as PROOFING SYSTEM for offset Press?

When we initially purchased our iGen3, we were told we could use it as a proofing device for our offset jobs. We asked to have a list of other printers using the iGen3 as a proofing device. They said they would get us a list. After we had the iGen3 installed, we were told there is no one else using the iGen3 as a proofing device.

We tried to get the color to match our Offset Press but it was not close enough and there are just some colors that will never get as close as we need them to be. We realized we had the wool pulled over our eyes. I hope you don't too!

While I can feel Brian's frustration, I admit to seeing this done with a humble Xerox 2060 and a Komori L628. It took a few iterations, but for the test form, it was indistinguishable. Maybe that was the rub, it's image dependent. Even MatchPrint had issues with some purple colors. HP Indigo does a nice job of matching an offset output, and this was an element of their trailer road show. In summary, I find it hard to believe that an iGen3 can't be color managed to match an offset press. I do not find it hard to believe that some account rep promised you a list that didn't exist.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718
(no calls at dinner time please)

Both opinions are very interesting.

We actually were close on our first attempt (approx 5 months ago). We needed to tweak things a little more but before we hit paydirt - Xerox did an upgrade and things went haywire....basically everything went out the window!

Since than there have been changes and we are looking at this again. Everyone is willing to try make it work but how much time is this worth if there is no light at the end of the tunnel?

Chazman

Chaz:
Another interesting question is "why should an upgrade impact a color managed toner gamut?" Can't they save your settings? Did they put in another shade of toner (nope.)

I say keep trying to get it as close as possible, then save those settings and a nice stack of samples of some IT8 or ECI like target. Next time the Xerox tech fixes something or changes something, tell them to make sure you are back at that benchmark. They will know the fastest and most efficient way to get there. Should be much easier with a digital press than on one of those nasty offset presses with all those "variables." (sic)

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

I have analyzed the gamut of an Igen and it definitely can cover the ISO cmyk solids.

Therefore it could be used as a proofer.

The main issue is getting the ICC profiles in the Igen RIP setup correctly.

Just as importantly, do you know the press is hitting an ISO target?

I believe it is possible.

Best regards,

Dan Wilson
G7 Expert,
Dublin, Ireland.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back