[CTP detail] the laser spacing of a PT-R machine?

george young

hi,
i am developping CTP machines for a client. i am very curious to know the laser spacing of an older Screen PT-R machines. i know they use discrete laser diodes and optical fibers to conduct laser light before a lens but i wonder if their laser dots are 'consecutive'? i.e. dot1/2/3/4/5.../64 are next to each other w/o spacing?
i am asking this b/c the laser constraints that my client gave me, has empty spaces btw laser dots which adds quite a bit of computing load to the pre-processing and also make the line alignment more challenging than if there's no space in between.

thanks a lot!
-george

Just speculating here, but since the laser spots would have a gaussian energy profile, wouldn't they actually need to slightly overlap to avoid artifacts?

best, gordon p

Just speculating here, but since the laser spots would have a gaussian energy profile, wouldn't they actually need to slightly overlap to avoid artifacts?

best, gordon p

hi Gordon,
you're totally right, the dots are slightly larger than an 'ideal pixel'. the laser dot i have is '12 by 4' um for 2540dpi (ideally 10um square pix). what i was asking is that, is there spacing btw two 'ideal pix' in a PT-R?

best
-george

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back