Agfa Avalon

Brian G

Any users of the Agfa Avalon out there? Looking for any kind of comment on it. Maintenance, reliability, type of plate(s) imaged on it etc.

Re: Agfa Avalon

I am currently using 2 flavours of the avalon - the LF (with punch) and the VLF. They are both pretty good on maintenance etc. However I do have issues alot of the time with the platemanager thats associated with them.

We've had an Avalon for a while now and it's been very reliable. No real problems at all.

I don't mean to hijack the thread... but could you tell us what kind of problems you have had with PlateManager?

30 years: Would you mind sharing what kind of plate you're imaging on the Avalon?

We have 2 Avalon VLFs and run Amigo plates. They have been up and running for about 2 months. The only problems we have were minor problems with one's processor.

Used to run the Agfa P970 plate. Had lots of problems, but it is being replaced by the new Energy plate. Have not tried that one. Right now we are running with the Amigo plate. A few problems with holes in screens and if you have to handle the plates, the emulsion is very sensitive before it is "processed". The moisture on your skin can easily remove the emulsion from the plate. If you print using a varnish, the plate will not last. Tried several from different suppliers and there is something in them that eats away at the emulsion. Typically last anywhere from 10K to 30K impressions. Agfa is aware, but do not have a solution. Don't mean to sound too negative, all in all it is a good plate.
We have a similar set-up at a sister company and there we are running the Fuji LHPJ plate. Can't say much, other than it runs great.

We are running an Avalon with single-job automation and Azura plates. This combo has worked well for over a year now with very little down time (only one hard down call).

I would also reiterate that you do not want to get involved with P970 (Thermostar) plates. They are JUNK. If you need long run lengths (over 100K) or UV printing then find a different brand of plate. If not then I would recommend the Azura plates. They are very reliable and do not vary over time.

Wayne: Would you mind sharing what your weekly plate volume is running through the Avalon?

brian

We run about 400 plates per week of various sizes. We run 2 shifts in prepress, but most of the plating gets done during the day. I would highly recommend either the job level automation or the plate manager to get the most productivity from the machine.

BTW - Rated speed for 40" Azura plates is 12/hour.

Hi Wayne:

It sounds like you have our Avalon LF "E" model.

We have other Avalon LF models that can attain 17 and 22 plates (40") per hour for Azura, so there is a model/speed to meet most Azura production requirements.

Regards,

No, our runs are much shorter than that. Anything over 50K, we would usually make a second set of plates as a backup.

I have a X-45E (prototype Avalon LF), it was one of the first avalons when replacing parts we have to let them know its a prototype Avalon.

We run the azura plates (got up to 100000 impressions out of them) LOVE THESE PLATES - Only con is the emulsion is not as hard as the conventional plates we used previously. We have only had a few problems with sharpening of dots or scratches due to press operators rubbing the plates with abrasives. All in all highly suggest these plates unless you require a higher number of impressions.

We have maybe had a total of 3 days total down time in 2-3 years due to misc problems. Replaced the main board due to the avalon being flaky on boot-ups (after a couple years use) and i believe a drum position sensor (after about 6 months use), and a air bladder on the lead edge clamp near the beginning of use.

Minimal maintenance, check, clean or replace filters in water chiller and vaccum and clean rails laser rides on.

Ernie: Are you imaging 40" plates and approximately how many per week? I'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not these Azura plates in combo with an Avalon are suited more for a small to medium sized low volume shop or if it can handle the flurry of 200-250 plates per day peak season printing half-size format in a medium to high quality 4cp shop.
bg
> {quote:title=Pandpinc wrote:}{quote}
> I have a X-45E (prototype Avalon LF), it was one of the first avalons when replacing parts we have to let them know its a prototype Avalon.
>
> We run the azura plates (got up to 100000 impressions out of them) LOVE THESE PLATES - Only con is the emulsion is not as hard as the conventional plates we used previously. We have only had a few problems with sharpening of dots or scratches due to press operators rubbing the plates with abrasives. All in all highly suggest these plates unless you require a higher number of impressions.
>
> We have maybe had a total of 3 days total down time in 2-3 years due to misc problems. Replaced the main board due to the avalon being flaky on boot-ups (after a couple years use) and i believe a drum position sensor (after about 6 months use), and a air bladder on the lead edge clamp near the beginning of use.
>
> Minimal maintenance, check, clean or replace filters in water chiller and vaccum and clean rails laser rides on.

Ernie -

Given the proper speed Avalon for your needs, the system can certainly meet your demands.

You may find that you will be going through a jug of gum two or three times a week at peak volumes, but other than that, there should be no issue meeting your peak demands.

Regards,

Are there any light sensitivity issues with manually feeding Agfa plates.

I've been told that an Apogee/Avalon ctp workflow (minus plate manager) is out on RFQ and should be awarded before years end. I'm told we'll be manually feeding plates for 4 different size presses (KBA, Komori, Miehli and Toko) up to 28"x40" .

Seasons greetings to one and all....
ps "If we don't have time to do the job right the first time, we'll always find time to do it right the next."

Dear Public...

<snip>
Are there any light sensitivity issues with
manually feeding Agfa plates.
<snip>

If this is a thermal Avalon (yes, we have a violet option as well),
then, WITH AGFA THERMAL PLATES, there is no white-light or ambient-light light sensitivity issues with our P970, Elite, nor Azura plates. With Amigo - you can also work in white light, but
don't leave them out in white light for extended periods of time before processing or imaging... they are still white light safe,
but for a shorter time. (normal working conditions are fine).

So, enjoy your manual feed - with Agfa thermal plates...

Regards,

We are normally slow as far as making plates, since we are a package printer and most jobs are repeats. Recently we gained a new customer and had to print an entire line of products. We pumped out around 400 40" plates and a 100 36" plates in about a months time, thats about the most we have continuously used it. We have had this machine for 3 or 4 years running around 100 plates a month. One of the best pieces of equipment ive worked with. Very little problems, i would suggest a gold service contract for the first year or two until you feel comfortable with the machine then maybe dropping back to a cheaper service contract if you are on a budget. But if your are putting out that many plates i wouldnt think that staying gold shouldnt be a problem. Best of luck!

Edited by: Ernie Lail on Dec 31, 2007 12:54 PM

Thanks...
Just got back to the office after an extended Holiday break and glad to see my conscerns have been answered...
Just waiting for an install date to be set.

thks
joe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back