Fuji vs Kodak Plates

AFarster

Anyone have any thoughts about either plate material (good or bad)? We are considering moving to Fuji from Kodak.

Thanks.

Re: Fuji vs Kodak Plates

We use both brands one each in two different plants. Info below is approximate but is from our trenches.

My plant uses Fuji. I feel their plate is top draw, consistent; virtually never fails. The chemistry is long running (~3000 sq m per batch); at about 6-8% of plate cost and runs clean.

Our other plant uses Kodak and has six times my plant's volume. They run two processors and one is cleaned each week on alternating weeks. To me, I am surprised at this frequent a cleaning; some people call their chemistry 'dirty'. The system also uses more (~1500 sq m per batch); at about 13% of plate cost of three different chemicals, so you can see the cost of plate processing is a bit higher than the Fuji chemistry which is only two chemicals.
We often run our sister plants Kodak plates and find that three times is the maximum we use them before problems sometimes arise, so we made that an sop but understand that only our shop.

Hope this helps muddle you even more than you likely are now!

John

Have you looked at Agfa plates, we are looking to upgrade to a new platesetter and are considering all options.
Run length and preferably a no bake plate is what we are looking for.

Can't speak for the plates, but back in the film days we switched to Fuji from Kodak and were very happy. I would assume the plates are great too.

We used Agfa and switched to Kodak. We are a mid-volume plant and are looking at consistancy. It seems to be a pretty even struggle. I guess we will have to test some plates and figure it out from there.

We ran a set of test Agfa Amigo plates and they will not work for us, now they are proposing the Energy Elite plate.
How do you find the Kodak plates to run?.
Still would like to try the Fuji plate.

Run length is the problem, we had a set made for the web and they starting
breaking down at 50000 impressions. They were unbaked plates , but they do not
come close to the rated run length. We are now trying the new energy elite plate,
we will see how they run.

You may want to get a hold of your Konica dealer. I'm told they have new plates that I hear are very good. Probably not a bad idea to have them run some test.

Matt

If you are looking for a no-bake plate, Fuji is your choice! Best quality, less cost for the chemical. Kodak can't catch up with Fuji yet, why pay extra to become a beta tester?!

Re: Fuji vs Agfa vs. Kodak Plates

Re: Fuji vs Agfa vs. Kodak Plates

Uncle Sam

(You weren't born in Arlington MA were you?
That's where the REAL Uncle Sam (Wilson) was born!)

It's interesting you note Fuji's no bake plate, but you neglect to mention Agfa's PIA/GATF InterTech Award-winning :Energy Elite plate. So, I'll do it for you. ;-)

http://www.gain.net/eweb/DynamicPag...&wps_key=CB583D17-B2AB-485F-BABC-49478F60750A

It's also interesting to read about your interest in (low
cost) chemistry, when your company promotes green.

Agfa has the broadest portfolio (and largest install) of
no- and low chemistry plates in the market (Azura and
Amigo), and now with Energy Elite, an award
winning "conventional" thermal plate that an InterTech
judge proclaimed to be "the basis for a new generation
of plates".

Yes, there is indeed another choice out there.

Regards,

We have never had a problem with the Kodak plates. Cost isn't bad and have very little chemistry. We also aren't normally doing mega-large runs. I'm sure we would find out how they hold up if we did.

We are running the Agfa Elite plate and it is without reservation, the best plate we have ever used. We are supplying multiple print sites, Web, Packaging (no bake), VLF sheet fed and small litho with no press chemistry issues and excellent storage for re-useablity.

Aorta:

Thanks for the kind words about Agfa Energy Elite plates.

One comment from a user in North Carolina,
was that their customer thought they had
started to print their magazine on the
sheetfed press (rather than the web press
it had and had traditionally been printed.)

I guess PIA/GATF InterTech judges
knew a great thing when they saw it.

Regards,

Too many dealers on this site and dificult to make a decision.
Call both Kodak and Fuji dealers and decide for yourself. Make them compete. I won't go with any other vendor.
My advice - try using consumables from the same company that made the CTP, workflow, etc. This way there is no one esle to blame when something goes wrong and your downtime will be minimal

I find that Kodak plates dont last for long runs. We are using the ultra grain sword plates.

We are actually right in the middle of deciding if we should switch to Fuji from Kodak. We have had some bad history with kodak plates and chemistry. We service our processor about 1 a week otherwise problems start showing up in the pressroom. Our biggest problem with Kodak plates have been hot spots, everyone outside of kodak that I ask tells me that is due to the fact that it is an ablative plate. Aren't all right to background plates ablative? Fuji claims theirs is not and all the shops that I ask who are running fuji look at me like I'm crazy when I mention hot spots.

Has anyone else had problems with hop spots?

Steve,

It was intresting to read a negative comment about Agfa products. I think Afga makes
very good products. The company and method of working, support etc. may be a large
factor why people in the past few years are trying to move away from Agfa. Price of plates
specialy violet plates ( quality is the best) is also major factor for people going towards
fuji/kodak instead of Amigo/Azura ( again quality is good).

We were using Kodak plates as well and we switched over to Fuji and never looked back. We have never had any problems with them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back