Need help choosing CTP

eddy22

I just purchased a 1983 GTO 52. I'm getting my plates done by a company but I could by an ecrm imagesetter for about $2.5k. I'll be getting a quickmaster in spring but I would like to get a platemaking system first. A ctp system. The problem is I don't know much about this stuff. Does a ctp system make 1 size only or is it variable in size? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this. I don't mind a second hand system to start. What do you guys recommend I start with or look into? How much do plates to a ctp system cost? I'm looking for something of small size as I have limited space to work with.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Need help choosing CTP

Eddie
It really depends on what market you are in - a lot of small offset printers will use polyester based plates.
and run them through a normal image setter. The problem is you do get a small amount of stretch
It might be worth looking a copy shops to see what they use - or talking to a consumable supplies company where you might buy plates from and they might have suggestions
Peter

The GTO is a great choice for real printing not waterless or toner based output. For CTP I would recommend this: SDP-Eco1630IIIR
The efficient, environmentally friendly SDP-Eco1630IIIR plate setting system features a self-contained processor that operates with two new, ready-to-use chemistries for imaging paper or polyester plate materials. This digital plate setting system uses up to 2/3 less chemistry and produces precisely the right plate for every job – one color, two–color or process color.
It is a Mitsubishi product and not proprietary like Ptek is. The Razor and Blade boys. Plus it has fewer issues like image drift and plate length problems like a DPM. If the plates are cut at the same length consistently the head and tail clamp will not stretch them.
Set all pressures properly etc. I have many people running Poly for 4 color and close 2 and 3 colors without any issues.
Regards
OG

While I wholeheartedly agree with OG's recommendation of the Mitsibishi Silver Digiplate machine, it seems you don't want to spend $50K on CTP right away. In that case, if the ECRM is in good working order and the laser is not thrashed, start of by running polyester plate through it. You may find a call to your Agfa dealer will get their attention as the plate/chemistry business is at stahe here. Their poly plate is called Setprint Plus and is dimensionally stabe and ok for 'non critical' 4-colour. It's a great way into CTP and will not cost you an arm and leg if ther ECRM is only $2.5K. You'll need a front-end and Rip of course.
Yes, you can make varied size plates on all CTP machines, at differing resolutions. 1200dpi good for mono & spot and low-grade colour (e.g. newsprint/recycled stock); 2400dpi for serious colour. But if you want constant, serious four-colour in the future, my view is CTP metal plates are the way to go.

I would recommend an ECRM CTP unit very strongly. I think you can get a second hand unit quite reasonably, and with drupa coming next year with revelations on chemistry free violet plates I would recommend ECRM and violet photopolumer plates, even more so. With CTP you will definetly see an improvement in quality and throughput
have a good one

i am currently looking for an inexpensive ctp system for a ryobi 3304h. although i do think that metal plates would probably be best in my situation, it may not financially be possible at this time. from what i've been reading, poly plates have come a long way and really can be used for short run work without the fear of stretching and losing register. we will be doing gangrun printing and probably an average of 1250 sheets per set of 4 plates if we work and turn.

from what i've read in this thread, the mitsubishi SDP-Eco1630IIIR is said to be the way to go. All of the posts in this thread are from 2007 though! What would someone suggest in 2009? I need a used system that will do 175 lpi.

Thanks in advance!

I have a DPM2340 and a Quickmaster and run poly plates. They stretch and usually do it in the first 500 impressions and it isn't consistent so you never know when it finished stretching or if it will stretch at all. I personally don't think poly is good for anything other than one color work. May be this is because of the auto loader and clamp on the QM, but stretch in this set-up is a big issue for me.

thanks you for your reply on this. the research i have done is giving off the illusion that the new school of poly plates can handle 4 color work under 20,000 impressions without stretching. namely the Mitsubishi Silver DigiPlate.

since our shop will be entering the world of offset completely green, we need all the advantages we can get. metal plates look like the way to go. anyone else have any thoughts on this?

print freq, take a look at the PlateWriter 2000. Just another angle. No chemistry, 50,000 impressions on aluminum plates. Very affordable, and green technology.

thanks you for your reply on this. the research i have done is giving off the illusion that the new school of poly plates can handle 4 color work under 20,000 impressions without stretching. namely the Mitsubishi Silver DigiPlate.

since our shop will be entering the world of offset completely green, we need all the advantages we can get. metal plates look like the way to go. anyone else have any thoughts on this?

printfreq:
I sell the PlateWriter 2000. There are no light sensitive plates, no processing required, no disposal of chemicals. System uses alumimum plates with up to 50,000 impressions. And the system is very affordable.

Poly

Poly

Would you like a set of plates made from your own live job to see how well they will run? I can pull a set of plates and overnight them to you, just send me a PDF of a job you want to run on your 3304 and I'll set you up with a full set of 8mil polyester SDP Mitsubishi Matte Back Plates and some great fountain solution and plate cleaner so you can see for yourself how well they run. Under 10k for complete syustem with all teh software included, trapping, imposition, hybrid screening, color proof hardware and software. Can't beat what this system has to offer for the money.

[email protected]

866-319-3334

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back