Quark 7 Export to PDF - Instant PDF - Trim Box size not held in Prinergy

I work for a large printer/publisher. We currently use a 'PDF Workflow' out in the field for alot of our Independent Distributors. We currently use 'Prepare' with a Creo Launchpad in Quark 6 to generate a PDF. Prepare preflights the pdf to specific Directives then the ID's upload the approved PDF's to Insite.

The bad thing is that Kodak doesn't have an update to 'Prepare' to work with Quark 7 or Leopard. So, we're testing Instant PDF. But, we are running into some issues & can't figure out if it's Quark 7, Instant PDF, or Prinergy.

When in Quark 7, a pdf is created with Instant PDF. Output Styles have been created for Quark 7 which are in the Instant PDF Queue. Instant PDF is set to perform a 'Direct Export'. Instant PDF creates the PDF & preflights it from the Directives that are selected. But, when the PDF goes thru are 'Prinergy' setup the 'Trim Box' size is not being held - Only Media Box size shows in Prinergy. PostScript to Distiller from Instant PDF creates the same problem.

Media Box causes all the Crop marks to shift on the page. Which means the file is not correct for printing.

Has anyone else run into this? Does it sound like Quark 7? Solutions? Does anyone know if Pitstop can create an action that would maintain the Trim Box setup so the PDF would work properly thru Prinergy.

Re: Quark 7 Export to PDF - Instant PDF - Trim Box size not held in Prinerg

We can write an action that redefines the trim box based on the media box, define a new trim box or a number of other things. Callas pdfCorrect may be able to help too.

Give me a call and we can discuss, 206-618-2537 or 206-201-2320. I am a reseller and certified trainer for the sake of clarification.

If its any help, I export pdfs direct from Quark 6 and 7 many times a day, using file->export, to be processed in prinergy. They always work fine. Do you have all the latest quark updates?

Re: Quark 7 Export to PDF - Instant PDF - Trim Box size not held in Prinergy

Try the www.enfocus.com user forum directly.

Peter

I work for a large printer/publisher. We currently use a 'PDF Workflow' out in the field for alot of our Independent Distributors. We currently use 'Prepare' with a Creo Launchpad in Quark 6 to generate a PDF. Prepare preflights the pdf to specific Directives then the ID's upload the approved PDF's to Insite.

The bad thing is that Kodak doesn't have an update to 'Prepare' to work with Quark 7 or Leopard. So, we're testing Instant PDF. But, we are running into some issues & can't figure out if it's Quark 7, Instant PDF, or Prinergy.

When in Quark 7, a pdf is created with Instant PDF. Output Styles have been created for Quark 7 which are in the Instant PDF Queue. Instant PDF is set to perform a 'Direct Export'. Instant PDF creates the PDF & preflights it from the Directives that are selected. But, when the PDF goes thru are 'Prinergy' setup the 'Trim Box' size is not being held - Only Media Box size shows in Prinergy. PostScript to Distiller from Instant PDF creates the same problem.

Media Box causes all the Crop marks to shift on the page. Which means the file is not correct for printing.

Has anyone else run into this? Does it sound like Quark 7? Solutions? Does anyone know if Pitstop can create an action that would maintain the Trim Box setup so the PDF would work properly thru Prinergy.

Do I understand correctly when I say you don't have a trim box in the PDF?

What happens if you open the PDF in Acrobat? If you have a PitStop Professional at hand, enable the 'view page boxes' setting.

You could also set the 'page box lay-out' category to the settings used in the output style. Which version of Instant PDF are you using?

What might help is resetting the page boxes with an Action List. Basically, changing the page boxes to the current settings. This might trigger the page boxes in Prinergy.

Cheers

Matt Beals hit the problem right on the head. I don't have a copy of PitStop on my computer, but the IT person who writes all the actions & directives in PitStop for our PDF workflows does.

Matt, I do want to call you and talk to you further about the resolution. Right now, though I keep getting pulled onto other projects which keeps pushing me off of the Enfocus Test.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by: moonshad2003 on Feb 1, 2008 4:03 PM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back