White lines in PDF

rande

Hi, we're trying to have clients proof our PDFs but we're coming up with white lines in them.
It doesn't matter what we view them in Preview Application/Acro6,7,8.
Doesn't matter how we make them. Recieve from client/ make from their native files or receive PDFs from them.
We see whites lines every where.
Can anyone help explain or solve this?
Thanks

Re: White lines in PDF

Are you getting images that are broken up into horizontal pieces with thin gaps between the pieces?

I just wanted to add, this is just a preview thing, not a trap issue. The output files are fine.

I'd be interested in seeing the file if you can attach it, or email it to [email protected]. Every time I've seen anything like that (at least that was still visible when you zomm in), it does produce output that way.

I get calls about this almost daily. The white lines are showing what Adobe calls the "atomic regions", where images are broken up to as a result of transparency being applied.

Turn off "Smooth line art" and "Smooth images" in Acrobats Page Display preferences and the white lines will go away.

If these are truly "atomic regions" then the white lines won't print..

Edited by: GinSu on Feb 27, 2008 12:04 PM

Thanks, you just saved us a world of hurt with that little tid bit of info.

Smooth Line Art, Smooth Images settings (not avail. boxes greyed out)

Smooth Line Art, Smooth Images settings (not avail. boxes greyed out)

Hi, I have gone to the preferences, to turn off smooth line art, smooth images as instructed (yes, i have atomic regions) and the boxes are greyed out? Why is this?
Can someone help? Both the settings are there but i'm unable to 'uncheck' the boxes.

I get calls about this almost daily. The white lines are showing what Adobe calls the "atomic regions", where images are broken up to as a result of transparency being applied.

Actually, it's a result of transparency being FLATTENDED - and usually incorrectly.

If people would simply move to a modern-PDF/X-4-based workflow, where transparency can be left live - this would all go away...

Actually, it's a result of transparency being FLATTENDED - and usually incorrectly.

If people would simply move to a modern-PDF/X-4-based workflow, where transparency can be left live - this would all go away...

We have and you are correct...however, there is a lot of legacy hardware out there still in use that just doesn't understand transparency.

We already have as I said earlier. There are still a lot of people using old rips, both hardware and software, that can't handle transparency. Drives me crazy when I see someone recommending a PDF-X1A but some people still need flattened files. Another issue is Fiery RIP's for digital copiers. Transparency is a problem for those still.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back