Eliminate Instant PDF clipping box

gking

Hi all, new here, a production artist for a prepress company, nice to meetcha all.

Now for my problem. I am currently evaluating Enfocus Instant PDF, Neo, and PitStop. All seems to be going well except for every Certified PDF that I make, Instant PDF automatically creates a clipping box where the media/bleed box is (and always seems to be 1" offset from the trim box). Although I can easily release and delete the clipping box in Neo or PitStop, we're trying to automate the whole thing so it would be a "hands-off" kind of deal once it enters the PDF workflow. Some may be curious why it's a big deal, and it's because the clipping box cuts off our legend lying outside the art area. Try as I might, I've tried resizing the page boxes in the PDF profile, but that doesn't appear to work.

Is there a setting in the PDF profile that can prevent the creation of the clip boxes? Delete it even? A PitStop action?

Thanks in advance,
Gabe

Re: Eliminate Instant PDF clipping box

I don't know how Instant PDF would be creating the clipping box. That's something that would come from the originating application or Distiller. Can you try calling me at (206) 618-2537 so we can talk about it? I'd like to see the queue from Instant PDF and the preflight profiles and actions that you are using as well as the documents themselves.

You're right, it wasn't the Instant PDF creating it, it was Distiller all along. I looked at the PDF presets and created my own and came across the part where I specify the bleed. For whatever reason, Distiller will not allow a bleed of more than 1". I think I may try a different avenue of creating a Certified PDF but without using a PDF preset.

Thanks, though!
Gabe

I suppose not, but we're evaluating the software and trying to break it. I used the "Derive PDF" radio button in the Instant PDF Queue instead of an Adobe PDF Preset and I was able to extend the bleed beyond 1" within Instant PDF. Now it just seems to be a matter of tweaking it to minimize the white spaces. It is, however, still creating clip boxes where the media box is (one for each layer, no less!). While this may not be a big deal eventually, it's an annoyance and makes me nervous that someone might delete a clip box along with content and be unaware of it.

I'm hoping to create a default action to be used on all Certified PDFs to minimize the white space around it. I don't suppose anyone knows of such an action that's available or an easy way to create it?

Thanks,
Gabe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back