Converting CMYK or RGB to Pantone colors?

Thanks for the response Tim. However, my image is a continuous tone image, so I don't get the slider bar.
Thanks also, AlMaink. With regard to remapping the various color separations to the Pantone color, I don't seem to be able to do that. I select the image, go to Inspector, and then Image > Remap. I can then set the Magenta Plate (which has the most information) to remap to the Pantone color. However, the Apply button is greyed out. Also, I would probably need to set the other separations so that they are discarded. I'm not sure if that's doable. Can you tell me more about this process?

Hey Joshuac,
Using the Inspector is indeed a great little tool, but PitStop can't discard any separations (channels) available in the image.
So when you change the Magenta channel to a Pantone color you need to address the Pantone color as well.
That's also why the the Apply button is greyed out.

Example: On a CMYK image you can remap the Magenta to Yellow, but you also need to remap Yellow to Magenta or a spot color.

You always keep the amount of channels you started with, so all need to be assigned before you can apply the change.

Illustrator can do that

Illustrator can do that

I'm also looking into finding a product that will read in a PDF that contains CMYK values and will output all the CMYK values as Pantone values.

My company buys in Topographical data (PDF) in CMYK, my job is (amongst many others) to re-colour all the CMYK values to Pantone values. Currently I'm using Illustrator CS3 but it so time consuming.

Ideally I would like to find a program that would Batch read in PDF's, and using predertermined values to convert.

Has anyone any idea of a product or company that might be able to help.

I've already tried - Esko and Enfocus.

Open the PDF file in illustrator (if a multi page PDF use the touch up link to illustrator to open selected objects in Illy) and use the edit:recolor artwork.
limit to color library, choose the appropriate pantone library and number of colours, (does not work with bitmaps :( but very useflull once you understand it)

I'm also looking into finding a product that will read in a PDF that contains CMYK values and will output all the CMYK values as Pantone values.

My company buys in Topographical data (PDF) in CMYK, my job is (amongst many others) to re-colour all the CMYK values to Pantone values. Currently I'm using Illustrator CS3 but it so time consuming.

Ideally I would like to find a program that would Batch read in PDF's, and using predertermined values to convert.

Has anyone any idea of a product or company that might be able to help.

I've already tried - Esko and Enfocus.

Hey Map Maker,

Are we talking about line art only PDFs, or images as well?

Cheers,
brain

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back