Pitstop causes Acrobat to load ssslllooooowwwwwlllllly....

JM

G'Day,
Have just upgraded to CS3 Design Premium on our PC's and installed latest Pitstop Professional.
Since installing Pitstop it takes forever to open Acrobat, like over a minute just to launch the app. Uninstall Pitstop and Acrobat launches almost instantly.

Any clues????

Re: Pitstop causes Acrobat to load ssslllooooowwwwwlllllly....

PitStop is not a small program. My installation of Acrobat Pro 8 is just about 1.33GB for the application itself.

And I'm on a PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM with a 5400 RPM ATA/100 drive. It's not that bad....

John, what kind of machine specs? We're running Dual 2GHz G5 rigs here with (only) 1.5Gb RAM, and I try not to got into Acro 8 at all. Acrobat keeps getting more & more bloated. They +really+ need to split the application into slimmer versions, catering to the needs of the customer. A Web Version, Print version, Consumer Version, etc. Seems like a no-brainer.

The PC's are 3.2G P4's with 1GB Ram, running XPPro. We deal almost exclusively with PDF files so Acrobat gets a good workout.
As I said, without Pitstop Acrobat launches almost instantly.

Hi John,

Same thing here... we are running Acrobat 8.1 and Pitstop 7.2 on a G5 dual 2ghz with 2GB RAM. Takes at least a good 30secs for Pitstop to launch when a tool is first selected... after that its rather snappy but. Also adding to the lag time we have installed ApogeeX just this week, so every time we open a PDF it looks at the ApogeeX server because of the Check In / Check Out feature!! So I dread launching Acrobat right now, makes it hard when probably 90% of our supplied work is in PDF format now!!

If anyone has any workarounds I would be really interested to hear them!

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony,

You're saying that it's not when launching Acrobat, but actually when launching the first tool of PitStop Professional? Which tool would that be? PDF Profile panel?

To my knowledge they have changed stuff in version 7.2 regarding to the slow launching issue. Did you upgrade to 7.2? It might be an idea to remove the sprefs file from the root Enfocus Prefs folder and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Hi Brain,

Yea, only seems to be related to Pitstop. Launching Acrobat itself is pretty snappy, but as soon as I select anything to do with Pitstop, any tool or menu item, takes about 30sec for the Pitstop splash screen to come up. Once up it runs fine, but yea, first click is a pain!!

Yep, we are running 7.2, so I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see if we have any luck. Getting used to it now but I spose...

Cheers, Tony

Welcome to Pitstop is all I could say on that one. Also, if you are on OS X you can turn Pitstop off by doing a command-i on Acrobat, and clicking the plug ins disclosure triangle. Then look for Enfocus and switch off.

Nope 7.52 is the same.
Starting with version 7 it looks like they are scanning your network for multiple instances of Pitstop, big or slow networks bites. Just try to disconnect your network (disable Airport as well if you have one), and see if it behaves normally.
We have a volume license of Pitstop on a big network (7 subnets) and this problem is a big issue, people are not ready to wait for one minute while starting up a Acrobat plugin.

Enfocus will not acknowledge this as a problem, they are behaving like beginners with bad support, being nice is not enough.

I suggest that we look for alternative on Drupa.

They've been scanning the network for years. That has nothing to do with it.

The problem is that PitStop runs in an overly bloated environment; Acrobat Pro... You're basically launching two programs at once. So it's going to take some time. If performance is that bad for you and it is a productivity problem then look to Neo which is significantly faster. One major reason is that Neo runs as an independent native PDF editor. No need for Acrobat...

As I said before PitStop is not a small program to load. You can always turn off other Acrobat features that you don't need.

> {quote:title=mattbeals wrote:}{quote}
> They've been scanning the network for years. That has nothing to do with it.
>
> The problem is that PitStop runs in an overly bloated environment; Acrobat Pro... You're basically launching two programs at once. So it's going to take some time. If performance is that bad for you and it is a productivity problem then look to Neo which is significantly faster. One major reason is that Neo runs as an independent native PDF editor. No need for Acrobat...
>
> As I said before PitStop is not a small program to load. You can always turn off other Acrobat features that you don't need.

What? What Acrobat features can I turn off to make it faster? And how?

Mr. Beals

Thank you for you comments.
The main problem we are having is lunching Pitstop after Acrobat is up, it does not matter if its with version 7 or 8 of Acrobat. When connected to a enterprise network it takes up-to one minute. After startup it behaves as expected on powerful machines.
But when same computer is connected to a small size network with under 50 nodes it behaves "normally", not as quick as version 6 but very usable.
Disconnecting the computer from a network altogether brings out the best regarding startup, 3-4 seconds starting up Pitstop.
Version 4, 5 and 6 did not have this problem on the same enterprise network, maybe they were only scanning one subnet or better yet version 7 is checking the whole internet:)

I will take a look at Neo, thanks for the tip.

Well, I'm not going to comment on the copy protection scheme more than I already have. But what I will say is that on my small private network and other small networks I have used it on (including extremely large private and government networks) performance has been about the same. What can make a difference is how many action lists and or preflight profiles you have. A small difference, but a difference none the less. It's a big program, 200MB or so last time I checked... Un/fortunately there really isn't anything that can be done about it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back