Who Is using WebWay?

Re: Who Is using WebWay?

We use it, but our biggest issues are getting past our Corporate Networking policies and convincing customers to use it.

It has worked best as a Sales tool. People are awed by the technology, which gets us the business, but they don't really want to use it.

Seems to work fine in the limited uses that we do use it with.

We had a demo in the shop for about 60 days. It worked fine, but we ended up going with Kodak's InSite.

we have been using to for a couple of months. works good, just trying to get customer service to use it with our customers more. feedback from our customers have been good.

> {quote:title=dauby wrote:}{quote}
> we have been using to for a couple of months. works good, just trying to get customer service to use it with our customers more. feedback from our customers have been good.

How is the speed for viewing remote proofs? How many pages do you deal with?

the half dozen customers that i have dealt with had no problem with speed. we have had 24 page files up on webway with no problem.

I'm thinking more in the way of 200 to 800 pages. Plus what kind of files are you letting them view. Ripped PDF's? Artpro? CT/LW?

our biggest jobs are 64 to 100 pages. but the most we have used with webway so far is 24 pages with no problem. we send them trapped pdf's.

We have been looking at differend systems for the past 6 months now. As an Artpro / Nexus production plant, we are mostly considering the EskoArtwork products.
We had a sales rep over a couple of times. It seems that Webway would become the smaller brother of Webcenter. Webway being moslty for limited users as webcenter being able to handle more users.

I still don't know what the best way to work is with sofproofing. Native Artpro or PDF (certified or not?) are the 2 options here.

People using these kind of systems: do you only work with PDF delivery or also native files?

I don't know anything about Webcenter but Webway accepts single and multipage documents and supports ArtPro™ native data, PDF®, Certified PDF®, PostScript® and TIFF documents.

how easy has the change over from native files to pdf been for you? Or have you allways used only PDF files?

We currently accept too much (Artpro / Adobe CS3 / PDF / Freehand) and I want to get rid of some of these. Freehand for one. But also the ones that deliver artwork just in Photoshop. As a label printer that is not what we like. I'd like to make the switch to just using PDF and Artpro. But how do you convince internal and external sales people it's for the best?

> {quote:title=Bobmorli wrote:}{quote}
> We have been looking at differend systems for the past 6 months now. As an Artpro / Nexus production plant, we are mostly considering the EskoArtwork products.
> We had a sales rep over a couple of times. It seems that Webway would become the smaller brother of Webcenter. Webway being moslty for limited users as webcenter being able to handle more users.
>
> I still don't know what the best way to work is with sofproofing. Native Artpro or PDF (certified or not?) are the 2 options here.
>
>
> People using these kind of systems: do you only work with PDF delivery or also native files?

We've been considering both of these also. I understand the biggest difference between WebWay and WebCenter is that with WebWay you have the WebWay server located in your location behind your firewall and the speed of it is dependent upon your internet connection. WebCenter stores it's file on a remote server that most likely has a much speedier connection. The downside of course is that you have to go retrieve the files from that remote server instead of the customer sending them straight into your local network.

Personally I think PDF is the way to go with this. Much smaller files than ArtPro. I'm currently worried that WebWay is too underpowered for the amount of files we need to get customers to view. Dalim Dialogue at this point seems to be a better product than WebWay. I've tried it out and the speed seems pretty good over our DSL connection.

I hadn't heard about Dalim Dialogue. Had a quick look at their website and I saw they are on the Drupa event. I'll surely go take a look there... Thanks for the tip Joe!

Stopped by the Dalim stand last week at Drupa. Here are my thoughts,

Dalim has some great things, for instance Dialogue. That is just a softproofing system. You can hook it up with Twist (their workflow suite) and then it becomes more interesting. If you just take Dialogue, you have to provide the uploading / conection with your MIS with another system. If you take twist with it, it all works together much better.

One of the big advantages is you can configure what you want and don't want and that will determine your price.

We're getting someone over here to look into matters a bit more so we can compare everything with Webcenter. My first impression is indeed that Dalim and webcenter can do pretty much the same.

> {quote:title=Bobmorli wrote:}{quote}
> Stopped by the Dalim stand last week at Drupa. Here are my thoughts,
>
> Dalim has some great things, for instance Dialogue. That is just a softproofing system. You can hook it up with Twist (their workflow suite) and then it becomes more interesting. If you just take Dialogue, you have to provide the uploading / conection with your MIS with another system. If you take twist with it, it all works together much better.
>
> One of the big advantages is you can configure what you want and don't want and that will determine your price.
>
> We're getting someone over here to look into matters a bit more so we can compare everything with Webcenter. My first impression is indeed that Dalim and webcenter can do pretty much the same.

Did a demo on all of the Dalim apps. It's a great workflow minus one thing. They don't do any type of screening so you'll need to add your own. In our case we'd have to keep a Nexus box for screening or, as they recommend, a Harlequin RIP on the back end of Dalim.

joe, in your opinion, do you think you have more possibilties with a Dalim workflow / softproof system than with the Nexus / Webway-webcenter. Takin in consideration that it's not something you want te reconfigure next year but rather do it in 3 to 5.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back