How do I estimate time on kongsberg cutting table

RMMM

Our company has just installed a kongsberg cutting table. Our mis does not have this machone on its list of finishing equipment and as a result estimating is difficult. How do I accurately calculate time. For example I have an enquiry where we have to cut 1.8 million characters for a customer on vinyl. each character has to be aproximately 80 x 45 mm in size.

I don't know of any esko software that calculate time for you. If somebody does, I'd sure be interested.

Depending on the material you're working with the machine will be able to run at different speeds. I'd recommending testing each tool and determining a realistic standard for each, based on the materials you're working with. After that it's a matter of calculating the lengths of your cuts and dividing to find time. The only catch is that more intricate work will require tool pick ups, which will slow down your net production. We apply a scaling factor based on simple-medium-complex which decreases the production speed accordingly. We divide production speed for each tool by 1, 1.25 and 1.5 respectively. Of course the estimator's choice of complexity is just an educated guess.

i've been researching a little about those machines, but don't own one. from what i've learned is that it does 64 meters per sec. Check the link to the esko machine i've been researching below.
http://www.esko.com/~/media/Esko/Fi...tables/G2558416_Kongsbergtable_us.pdf?lang=en

The machine you have might have a different speed so check your machine specifications. Then in your design if you know add up the distance of all lines to be done on your esko, then that should give you a pretty good idea.

i've been researching a little about those machines, but don't own one. from what i've learned is that it does 64 meters per sec.

Not to be picky, but that's 64m per minute. We do own one and they're fast, but not that fast! Also, that's max speed. Depending on what material you're cutting, what tool you're using and what the dieline is like that number varies greatly. For example, if you're cutting 6mm pvc with a 3mm bit with more intricate shapes and you want it to look perfect, you'll need to run the machine at about 30% of max speed and make two passes. So now you're netting 15% of the 64m/minute that you see in the spec sheet.

Of course if you're cutting squares out of vinyl with a straight edge knife, you can max it out. There are a whole range of applications that fall somewhere in between.

This is a pretty standard MIS implementation/setup scenario.

Simply record the times of some real world jobs or tests and use those figures scaled appropriately for the guesstimate. As with all estimating, quoting without seeing the job or knowing the exact details is always going to be a guess and then it is your call on whether you guess low, middle or high.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back