Can ESKO do this?

Macmann

We need a way to verify that shipping is skid packing the right part before loading it onto a truck and delivering the wrong part to an unhappy customer. Ideally we could use Automation Engine to do this, having Packedge generate a barcode that is linked to the specific part number. We would also like the barcode scan to bring up a visual reference (thumbnail) of the part as well, so the operator would be able to identify whether they have the correct part before shrink wrapping and loading onto the truck. Does such a capability exist? The departments that would need access to this data are running thin clients which cannot run ESKO, so ESKO would need to generate a PDF to a centrally located server for all to access. Any input would be appreciated.

We need a way to verify that shipping is skid packing the right part before loading it onto a truck and delivering the wrong part to an unhappy customer. Ideally we could use Automation Engine to do this, having Packedge generate a barcode that is linked to the specific part number. We would also like the barcode scan to bring up a visual reference (thumbnail) of the part as well, so the operator would be able to identify whether they have the correct part before shrink wrapping and loading onto the truck. Does such a capability exist? The departments that would need access to this data are running thin clients which cannot run ESKO, so ESKO would need to generate a PDF to a centrally located server for all to access. Any input would be appreciated.
not so clear about that , but is it so complicated that nobody answers here?

not so clear about that , but is it so complicated that nobody answers here?

I can’t comment on the Esko side of things. To me, this sounds like a task for an MIS/ERP system. I produced the attached PDF “pick n pack list” which includes text product code and barcode from the Accura MIS, using the stock control module. Image previews can also be added to the stocked products and viewed from the online-system using a web browser (image attached of the view of the order online, the order line item thumbnails open up as an enlarged image preview when clicked).

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• Pick-List-with-Barcode.pdf
    6.2 KB · Views: 215
  • online-order.jpg
    online-order.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Now this might be a really stupid question, but did you actually contact Esko about this rather than just posting it here?
Why not contact Esko support and ask them?

I can't comment on Esko functionality, but I do seem to remember hearing about something similar recently.

Can Esko do this?

Can Esko do this?

Now this might be a really stupid question, but did you actually contact Esko about this rather than just posting it here?
Why not contact Esko support and ask them?

I can't comment on Esko functionality, but I do seem to remember hearing about something similar recently.

Thanks for your input guys. Yes I did contact Esko-they acquired a company called CAPE Systems which they offered to sell us their software solution. It seemed more geared to shipping solutions than what we are looking for. Besides, we were trying to get away with not purchasing further software. I will look into the other suggestion regarding Accura MIS.

Besides, we were trying to get away with not purchasing further software. I will look into the other suggestion regarding Accura MIS.

Macmann, the Accura MIS is not free, so if you are not looking to purchase new software then it may not be a viable option.

All I know is that you have some sort of Esko software. Can I presume that you are in packaging? Are you a repro trade house, or do you work for a converter? What “parts” are you selling (finished goods)? Are the parts stock standing items, or are they unique and created on demand?

What MIS/ERP/Print Management software do you have? What order management or accounts software do you have? What inventory or shipping software do you have? Depending on the current software that you have, you may be able to knock something up yourself.

The workflow that I mentioned using Accura handled taking in the original order and producing a job ticket/bag, producing a pick list for packing, issuing the stock to the order (taking it out of on hand stock levels), producing delivery notes/parcel labels, invoicing and also providing a real-time view of the order items and stock levels - additionally offering a web based method that could be used by a “thin client” with an internet connection and web browser to visually check that the order items match the part being picked (in addition to using human and machine readable stock codes).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen,

We are a screen printer. We use Esko PackEdge, Plato, Automation Engine, etc... Our finished product is installed in the automotive industry, appliances, and other larger consumer goods, so we call them "parts". Esko's Automation Engine is so robust I thought it may have some features I wasn't aware of. The features in Filemaker Pro more
closely match what we would ultimately like to achieve as Chevalier stated above. Like you so eloquently put it, we'll have to "knock something up" ourselves.

Thanks for your input,
Macmann

Thanks Stephen,

We are a screen printer. We use Esko PackEdge, Plato, Automation Engine, etc... Our finished product is installed in the automotive industry, appliances, and other larger consumer goods, so we call them "parts". Esko's Automation Engine is so robust I thought it may have some features I wasn't aware of. The features in Filemaker Pro more
closely match what we would ultimately like to achieve as Chevalier stated above. Like you so eloquently put it, we'll have to "knock something up" ourselves.

Thanks for your input,
Macmann

Hi Macmann,

Have you checked out the ReportMaker task in Automation Engine?

You can create more or less any kind of layout with job related information, parameters and a long list of of barcodes and QR codes (+ graphical elements of course).

Create Report (ReportMaker)

Regards,
/D

Doh,

I was not aware of ReportMaker-you rock! I believe this will suit our needs exactly.

Thanks much,

Macmann

From my point view, you need barcode generating and scanning features in your application. Google provides a lot of open source for barcoding. But what i've ever tried is not free.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back