DeskPack Ink manager bug remains unresolved

chevalier

Does anyone else out there find it ridiculous that the bug where you cannot reorder inks without restarting Illustrator has not been fixed?!? There have been 2 version releases without any resolution of this… :mad:

Last edited:
We are unable to recreate on any of our workstations. Also using DP12.1.3 on AI CC. Does the ink manager lockup or illustrator crash? We apparently do not have this issue but are willing to help trouble shoot.

It simply won't allow you to reorder the inks. They're "stuck". Quit Illustrator and reopen and you can reorder the inks. Make a few steps/revisions and need to reorder something again? It might allow you to reorder but it if it doesn't quit Illustrator and reopen. I'm having to quit and reopen Illustrator >10 times a day because of this sometimes.

This has to a well-known and wide-spread problem as there is a support doc about this that tells you to quit Illustrator and reopen it.

ANyway I'm having a Monday and I'm damned tired or quiting and reopening Illustrator. Just fix the damn bug!

chevalier, I have not seen this problem. I have over 50 operators using this feature daily. Did you report it to Esko?

Also, when we have noticed "weird" things happening with Esko or Illustrator. We completely reinstall Illustrator and the plug ins. That always fixes the problems.

Here [wiki.esko.com] is the ESKO KB article about this. I've performed these actions multiple times and the problem always manages to come back. I've also tried different workspace panel configurations. I experience this on every version of Illustrator CC running on both MacOS 10.8 and 10.9 on two different workstations. One of these workstations is used by an operator who basically practices an anarchic workspace while mine is extremely organized. Both experience this issue constantly.

This is the ONLY DeskPack plugin that I have any problems with and I have the complete package of them.

Esko know about it. That's why there is a KB article! Esko farms out DP software to a third party. It will be awhile before it's fixed...

The fact that some of us experience the problem and others not is a bit strange. And might be the reason why it's so hard to solve the issue.

Chevalier, you mention you need to restart several times a day. In the KB article they advice to delete your pref's folder. Did you try this? I suppose so... But if this didn't solved the issue it's worth mentioning to support so they can modify the KB article.

Never heard Esko is outsourcing the DP development StillWaiting... To my knowledge DeskPack is still fully developed by Esko.

Esko know about it. That's why there is a KB article!
EXACTLY. Note the date on the KB article: 01-Nov-13… 166 days (~5.5 months)

I've deleted my preferences and the problem showed back up by the end of the day. I did go through the service call route months ago. The Illustrator preferences don't seem to have much of anything to do with workspace other than the User Interface panel.

Esko did outsource DeskPack. That's why it took "them" a full 9 months to update DP for CS6. See, http://printplanet.com/forums/esko/29711-deskpack-suite12-rollout-date/2#post189890
They outsourced it and the company they outsourced it to dropped the ball. They might now do it themselves? Just like we have been hearing about a unified PDF editor for 3 years… :)

Actually that's 100% false. A few of the photoshop plugins where updated by Esko china but the rest was Esko Belgium.

Indeed, all plug-in developments were and are done in-house by Esko development teams in Prague, Gent, Shanghai and Bangalore.
The reason why it took so long to support CS6 is that the user interfaces of the plug-ins had to be re-written because Adobe discontinued support for the ADM (Adobe Dialog Manager) UI framework in CS6 and we had underestimated the time it would take to re-implement the user interfaces on top of an alternative 3rd party UI framework. No excuse though, we were much too late and will work to avoid such long delays in the future.

Was anything done about the known issue of not being able to resort inks with development of DeskPack14? If not, are there future plans? I've found that it seems only occurs when ink manager is not its own free floating panel.

Wim thanks for responding. Good to see someone at your level within Esko (or any vendor for that matter) is at a minimum reading feedback from endusers let alone responding publicly. Much appreciated! (cross posted)

Was anything done about the known issue of not being able to resort inks with development of DeskPack14? If not, are there future plans? I've found that it seems only occurs when ink manager is not its own free floating panel.
The Mac-specific issue of not being able to reorder inks when the InkMan palette is groupped with another palette has been fixed for the upcoming September'14 release 14.0.1. The fix is available in the Beta version of that release (see the info by Wim Fransen).

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back