Best way to delete "temp" folder?

StillWaiting

[h=4]Hi Guys,[/h] So what's the best way that you guys delete your "temp" folder if and when you use one?

I have one set up and I tried using the "Data Collector" but it's to early in the workflow to get deleted and my workflow then goes into about 4 differnet branches while that "temp" folder sits there. Hate having 10 arrows linking the Data Collector > Select File > Delete File at the end of the workflow. Looks messy. LOL

No Title

You should give "select file" and "delete file" tasks a try. We have found it to be a pretty easy way to select files or folders and move or copy them. Basically add "select file" in the workflow to select the "temp" folder and then chain in the "delete file" to delete it. See screenshots.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• photo6152.jpg
    photo6152.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 256
  • photo6153.jpg
    photo6153.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 261
You should give "select file" and "delete file" tasks a try. We have found it to be a pretty easy way to select files or folders and move or copy them. Basically add "select file" in the workflow to select the "temp" folder and then chain in the "delete file" to delete it. See screenshots.

Hope that helps.

The dilemma I'm having is that the temp folder has a file in it that gets picked up by 3 other Router, if I choose for it to take that path, tasks and moves forward. Its deleting the file to quickly before moving on to other tasks. And I was trying to delete the folder as soon as its done collecting all files in the temp folder instead of putting a Wait task there. But there is a hiccup somewhere.

Thanks WI-Flexo. I'll figure something out.

Last edited:
That makes sense! I see the dilemma. If I come up with something else I will let ya know.

If you have the Jobs module, you could always use the following smart names [Job Temp URL]/[Task ID] in the output in field in the tasks making the temp files. These folders are automatically deleted when the task cleanup rules run. They are also invisible to the Pilot.

Last edited:
If you have the Jobs module, you could always use the following smart names [Job Temp URL]/[Task ID] in the output in field in the tasks making the temp files. These folders are automatically deleted when the task cleanup rules run. They are also invisible to the Pilot.

Is this what you are talking about Macro?
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 1.42.46 PM.png.jpg

You got it. Set those and when the job completes and when these run all the temp files and folders are deleted.

The dilemma I'm having is that the temp folder has a file in it that gets picked up by 3 other Router, if I choose for it to take that path, tasks and moves forward. Its deleting the file to quickly before moving on to other tasks. And I was trying to delete the folder as soon as its done collecting all files in the temp folder instead of putting a Wait task there. But there is a hiccup somewhere.

Thanks WI-Flexo. I'll figure something out.

Option 1: Having the Select Temp Folder -> Delete File tickets and the very end of the work flow is the best method if you only be have one workflow run at a time in your job. If you have multiple workflows running at a time you may run into deleting a temp file that is still in use. If you do not multiple paths to the delete file (showing messy) you can always hide the transition nodes by right clicking and saying "hide transitions"

Option 2: Use the Mark File / Select File workflow controls to mark the files being written to the temp folder as soon as they come out. Then at a specific point in the workflow use the "select file workflow control (not select file ticket)" to delete the marked files. This method works good if multiple workflows may be in progress in one job at the same time.

Option 3: As Marko mentioned you should be using the [Job Temp URL]/[Task ID] in your tickets to put your filed in the temp folder. If you are doing this then use the cleanup rules to remove your tasks after a specific time. This only works when if you files are in a [task id] folder because that is the unique ID linked to the task that ran. You can also manually remove by selecting them and deleting the task.

You got it. Set those and when the job completes and when these run all the temp files and folders are deleted.

Almost there. It is deleting the Task ID folder that is in the "temp" folder but is is not deleting the actual "temp" folder? Any suggestions? And AE v16.0.1 only gives me the options of
[Job Temp URL]/[Job ID (internal)]

Scripts and autodelete don't always work. I have followed Esko's best practices and created a jobtempfolder smartname and put it everywhere I want to clean out and then immediately select the folder then mark it as "Junk." When the ticket is errors or completes it deletes the "Junk" tagged folders and files. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• photo6520.jpg
    photo6520.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 270
  • photo6521.jpg
    photo6521.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 277
  • photo6522.jpg
    photo6522.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 254

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back