Software Suite 7

wesley

Anybody out there with the new install? We are looking to upgrade soon. Feedback from those who are learning the new system would be really helpful.

Re: Software Suite 7

We haven't upgraded yet, but plan to by the end of the year.

The demo I saw at GraphExpo didn't look like the changes were too substantial. Some UI changes in the graphic editors, but otherwise, everything seemed to work and look the same. What are you major concerns? I'll be testing it out myself pretty soon...

It will be a big upgrade for us. Still on Backstage2.0 and Packedge 4. Have a number of workflows and automated processes, but the lure of pdf native workflow would be a big selling point for some clients. More uniformity and conformity in supported CS functionality would eliminate a lot of workarounds. The truth as always is usually not as grand as advertised. We have been on the platform since the early days of VMS as I read you were. We also use Nexus and Artpro for some clients. It appears you are making a change. Seems like a big move. Your comparison of the new system to the Esko/Artwork product would be helpful to all. Please update us on your progress.

We'll be going from Scope 3 R4 to Suite 7, which won't be as big of a change as 2 to 7 like you're doing. The upgrade from 2 to 3 for us did go really easily... seems like Esko made sure not to make drastic changes that would results in corrupt or unusable tickets. In fact, I don't recall having to fix any tickets after that upgrade, which was the first to make the jump to PDF native. That could certainly be different for you though...

I think our upgrade will take place towards the end of October, and we'll be doing all the installations ourselves (as usual). I'll post back as to how it went.

i heard that ESKO-7 has been delayed......i had a play with the beta and it was a bit chunky. i would have thought the final pre-release to work alot smoother. but bring on the illustrator blend mode support. i think this will be a major upgrade for anyone

how long to do the install yourselves??? took the esko tech nearly a week to intall (then fix) for scope 3 at our plant.

Granted we still haven't made the upgrade to Suite 7, but Scope 2 to 3 took an evening. All of the revision upgrades took an evening (ie, R3 to R4). This is upgrading a Backstage server, a FlexRIP, 10 stations or so of Packedge, and 6 stations of Deskpack. Two of us working on it takes about 2-3 hours.

We've had Esko 7 R2 since beginning of October. It is our first Esko product so we are Esko newbies.

We've had some disappointment with FastImpose not automating simple step and repeat of multi-page files as well as SmartID not consistent on proof, plates AND on a reportmaker form. Ideas anyone?

IMO 7 is still buggy with several expected items, e.g. pdf rotation honored, not implemented. Look for R3 by maybe December-January? We remain convinced that Esko is a superior workflow, however the transition, despite strong effort by Esko support, has been challenging.

stephen

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back