SmartID consistency

steppy

Has anyone found a way to have the SmartID remain consistent on proof, plates AND on a reportmaker form?

We are finding that the reportmaker form itself is generating its own SmartID which is of course different from the SmartID generated for the proof and plates.

We think we can extract the SmartID character string from the appropriate file and use that in a field in the report. Just hoping that someone else has already invented this wheel.

Thanks,

stephen

Re: SmartID consistency

Is the file being changed at all?

I haven't used reportmaker before... could it be that file is getting a SmartID? I thought I remember you could use the SmartID of a placed file (ie, the SmartID of a 1-up in a step and repeat and not the SmartID of the step & repeat file). Would this be applicable to reportmaker?

that is exactly the situation. the report itself is assigned a smart id and this is what is pulled into the report, (in this case a customer approval form). We would like the same smart id that appears on our imposed proof and plates to be the smart id that is on the approval form. a consistent smart id through the entire process.

stephen

Try this...

Once you create a new Text SmartMark, click on "Smart Text..." and go to the XMP data selection. In there, select External References, then check on the SmartID. That might be what you're looking for.

Your SmartID on the ReportMaker is coming from the SmartID smarttext. I am assuming the SmartID mark on your proofs and plates is coming from the SmartText on your Imposition. Check to see if you have selected the same kind smarttext.

i.e. -

In FastImpose there are two places in the SmartText list that you can choose something called SmartID. In the SmartText list under "Layout" there is something called SmartID, but under "BaskStage_fileinfo Name" there is also something called SmartID.

The difference between the two is that the SmartID under "Layout" is the "formid", and the one under "Backstage_fileinfo Name" is the "bs_smartid" for the actual file.

"formid" will change if something has been adjusted to the actual form itself - like changing the page order.
"bs_smartid" will change if something has changed to the content of the file, - like an edit.
Try changing the smarttext in your imposition to "bs_smartid" and see the result.

A bit confusing, but I believe this is the discrepancy that you are seeing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back