Nexus Stababilty

Hello,

Just wondering how often over users have to reboot there Nexus systems due to module lock ups etc.
Our system deals with approx 100 job a day and we find that we have to reboot the software once a day.

Re: Nexus Stababilty

When was the last time you did a "Disaster Recovery"? We seldom have modules lock up. When we do, we do a disaster recovery and move on. We have gotten to over 2000 jobs before needing to go and do the procedure.

Thanks.

Not sure if the other poster is talking about the same thing, but I have had corruption multiple times with Nexus (things slow down or stop working). When this happens, I trash the Nexus folder on my E: drive from Nexus_Mac share, copy the backup from the D: drive (RAM drive I keep a copy of my fully-configured Nexus) and paste on the E: drive into Nexus_Mac. Then restart Nexus with shortcuts on desktop (which are still good and point to the newly copied backup Nexus that's now in the same location as the old Nexus).

Don

Our Nexus systems run with out reboots for months at a time. I don't know about Disaster Recovery, but the fact that we don't reboot daily like you do may indicate that your system has a problem.

It's normally duplicated modules that cause us a problem like processor & transport the other module that seams to fall over is the Soap module.
This is not just on one box either we have two Nexus's and we do exprencince this on both. We have Nexus running on Dell Xeon servers running windows 2000 (tried 2003 but had issues with this so had to roll back to 2000)

Edited by: Repro_is_still_alive on Oct 25, 2007 12:15 PM

I'm running Nexus 8.5r3 on 2 PC's running Windows 2003 Server w/ SP2. The only time I have to re-boot the PC is after a Windows update. If I do have a problem with a module I just bring it to the front and hit "Q" and it shuts it down and re-starts it and away I go. Don't even have to restart the Nexus app. I've only had a couple of times I've had to trash everything and since we installed Nexus 7.5 in Feb. 2003.

We were having the exact same problem with our Nexus box. It was partly because our boxes where really old and couldn't handle the stress we were putting on it. We were running 3 assemblers and we didn't have the resources to support all three of them so we shut two of them down. After we shut them down we did a full reset. Do you know how to do a full reset on the Nexus Rip???? here is what support told us to do:

Follow these steps.
1. Quit Nexus 8 if it is running.
2. Delete these folders, Jobs, Module Logs, Module Logs Backup, Module Resources, Rip_Data and Rip Backup.
3. Make sure you have a real folder calles PCC Screening in this Nexus 8 folder not alias or short cut, if you don't find a copy and put it in here.
4. Launch Port Server and Control. This will launch a bunch of modules which is normal.
5. After about a minute or 2 some of these Modules will shutdown on it own and leave about 5 modules still open behind. Port Server, Control, Browser, Agfa Apis and Agfa HW Apis. When this happen, do a quit on the Control so it shut down these remain and it self, then a quit in the PortServer.
6. Launch PortServer and Control.
7. Connect to it via Nexus Manager 8.
8. Build a test WF before you restore all of your WFs.

This will fix a lot of problems. The bad thing is that it will also delete all the jobs you had in Nexus Manager.

I can't remember the last time we had to fully restart Nexus (RIP Software or PC). The only common issue we get is the Nexus Processor module locking up. We just quit that module and it springs to life again and works fine. This only happens every couple of weeks.

From time to time we reboot our Nexus (processor) but rarely because the system fails. And if a module locks up, we also just quit it.

Rebooting Nexus Rip hasn't been necessary that often.

We have found that if we leave Nexus running for more than a couple days weird stuff starts happening so we have the 3rd shift guy reboot both boxes every night.

Looking to move them to OSX.

Have you tried resetting Nexus completely? or save out all your workflows and reinstall Nexus. You shouldn't have to re boot every night. I definitely agree with the OSX move.

Yup, after I got back from Nexus training one of the boxes freaked out for some unknown reason so I decided to put my newfound skills to the test.

Sure wish the instructor would have mentioned something about the PCC Screening folder NOT being part of the installer, luckily we have another box and I was able to figure it out without Longs award winning support ;p

Edited by: G_Town on Nov 5, 2007 12:11 PM

I restart mine every morning. It seems with .5r3 it locks up quite a bit. I also have files an the server that don't delete. We run very large PDFs (700mb- 1gb) through our workflows and when these files don't go away, (even when I remove them from the jobs queue?) I end up getting out of memory errors and it will freeze up. I do a search for size on the servers (10mb or large) and end up deleting many remnant files sitting in spooler folder etc... Whats up with that? So I clean off all unnecessary garbage and shutdown each server every morning.

I've also noticed that largere files tend to stay in place even after the purge time has passed. Mostly a manual delete in the Nexus manager does the trick. Only from time to time I have to log on the main machine to delete the files there. Kinda strange it all is sometimes but it keeps you alert ;-)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back