Intel Mac and Indesign CS3 and PageFlow

Mylar

I recently purchased CS3 for our departments only Intel Mac and have issues printing to our RIP from InDesign CS3.
Specifically, printing separations to the RIP should give a "page 1" with all colors combined, I get, page 1 - cyan, page 1 - magenta, etc...
Have not tried re-installing any software yet.
We have other G5 (non intel) Macs that print fine from CS3.

Mac- MacPro 1,1; 2x2.66 Ghz; DuelCore G5 Intel Xeon; 2 gigs memory
OS- 10.4.10
RIP- ArtPro; PCC PageFlow 1.7.19

Thanks for any help!

Re: Intel Mac and Indesign CS3 and PageFlow

Have you tried printing In-RIP Separations from CS3? We have one Mactel box that has upgraded to 10.4.10 and that's how we have to print in order to get it right. We running to Nexus 8.5r2, so I don't know if this will help for printing to PageFlow. Also, downgrading to 10.4.9 might help, we didn't have the issue until the 10.4.10 upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion. Printing from 'InRIP Seperation' only gave a generic 'Red triangle' error in the workflow. We are in the process of upgrading to a new RIP, so we just might wait. I have reservations about reloading a lower version of the OS.

I don't blame you for not wanting to downgrade the OS. I've never done it and would do everything but cause myself bodily harm to avoid doing it.

And I imagine a RIP upgrade will gain you a lot more than an OS downgrade.

Good Luck!

My guess is that CS3 and Pageflow will never be compatible. I think you seriously need to consider moving up to Nexus.

For God's sake, please don't upgrade your PageFlow to Nexus! You'll be mad you paid so much for not much difference (I've basically benefitted only having color management on one proofer where I didn't have it with PageFlow. The vector workflows have been considered by me as beta all along, and have broken my proofing that upgrading to Nexus gave me color management on in the first place, so I've been forced to downgrade just to get proofing working again!? And of course they haven't fixed it, nor probably ever will).

If you want to upgrade, upgrade to new technology, not old. Upgrade to Neo (PDF editor that allows you to edit live transparency, edit text using embedded fonts (<BIG ONE HERE), etc.) and Odystar workflow (or maybe another vendor besides AWS, now EskoArtwork).

Don

> {quote:title=disbellj wrote:}{quote}
> For God's sake, please don't upgrade your PageFlow to Nexus! You'll be mad you paid so much for not much difference (I've basically benefitted only having color management on one proofer where I didn't have it with PageFlow. The vector workflows have been considered by me as beta all along, and have broken my proofing that upgrading to Nexus gave me color management on in the first place, so I've been forced to downgrade just to get proofing working again!? And of course they haven't fixed it, nor probably ever will).
>
> If you want to upgrade, upgrade to new technology, not old. Upgrade to Neo (PDF editor that allows you to edit live transparency, edit text using embedded fonts (<BIG ONE HERE), etc.) and Odystar workflow (or maybe another vendor besides AWS, now EskoArtwork).
>
> Don

I've used them both extensively and there is nothing wrong with Nexus. The vector workflows are great. and will handle most anything I throw at it.

Pageflow on the other hand is a dead horse.

NEO is great but a little pricey.

Odystar works somewhat but still has a lot of bugs to be worked out. And they will eventually.

Thanks for the help. I did get an official answer from ArtWorks that the Intel Macs cannot print from IndesignCS3 when using PageFlow. Time to hunt for another RIP. Thinking about Rampage and SCREEN as well as NEXUS.

When we upgraded from PageFlow to Nexus, we looked also at Rampage. If I was starting from scratch, Rampage has some appeal, but upgrading to Nexus proved to be an easier, quicker and more flexible solution.

An advantage to sticking with AWS (or EskoArtworks these days) is that your calibration files from PageFlow will work with Nexus. Also, almost no learning curve.

Good Advice. It would be a smoother transition. However, I have more concerns.
AWS is telling us we would have a few days training at our site, but an addtional 3 day training at their site in Philidelphia. (4 days, if we purchase Neo).
Also, Neo is a 1 seat license where as Rampage includes their editor in their package with unlimited seats.
Both use Preps, so thats no problem.

How much do you use Neo (assuming you have it?)

I don't have Neo. I use PitStop for editing PDFs.

We are old school about output, making our corrections to native files and printing separations to the RIP. The Raster Trap module seems to do a good job and rarely requires any intrevention.

Nexus Edit allows you to edit files similar to how you would edit them with RamPage, but requires composite output. I have 1 license but haven't used it in over a year, it just seems too slow and clunky when compared to editing the native file.

I got the three days on-site training, which basically just covered the install and recreation of the workflows. I haven't gone to Bristol for the additional training.

Neo allows using the PDF's embedded fonts to make type changes (rare these days). That alone makes it the software I would most like to use for PDF editing. Other than that, it's easy to teach yourself how to use Neo. Not near as complicated as Pitstop, but many more times flexible. In Pitstop, can you look at the PDF's separations, edit transparency, quickly select all fills of a specific color and quickly change them? To me, Neo is what editing a PDF should be like bar none. It puts the others to shame. The only thing I don't like is that I haven't seen a PDF trapper work as well as Nexus' Raster Trapper (which isn't perfect but does very good without intervention on many jobs). When and if PDF trapping gets to be as good as raster trapping, I'm there.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back