Nexus Total RIP, PDFs and fonts - AAHHGGG

T

I've been having issues with fonts in my PDF and the Total RIP through Nexus. The fonts are embedded in the PDF. ? If I don't outline my fonts, I get a white gap between the trap and the font or the font and the backgroung? Also, sometimes the font shifts in position or kerning? If I outline the font these problems are, of course, removed. Has anyone else experienced this issue or others with fonts and PDFs?

Re: Nexus Total RIP, PDFs and fonts - AAHHGGG

Maybe a font version problem with the fonts on your nexus and the ones in the pdf?

For those reasons we always make sure everything is in outline once we send it to nexus.

Why Don't you just put a pitstop module in front of your workflow and set it to outline the fonts. It doesn't add any significant time to your processing and it will fix any gaps. What reservations do you have about outlining fonts? or are you already doing this and you just want to know if anyone else is having issues with fonts.?

We have had a few issues with fonts and the Total rip. I found that D type fonts have given us a lot of problems. We had another issue where we outlined the font and it disappeared from the PDF. I forgot what type of font it was though. A few months ago we talked to a AWS rep and he acknowledged that their was problems with font handling in the TotalRip. So brother you're not alone.

Of course you'll never hear of these problems from a salesman. Why I don't like salesman. According to salesman, there are only positives, no negatives. Thankfully there are forums like these that keep some of us from making the same mistake twice.

Don

Well, I'd love to, but we have 4 servers and the cost for the Pitstop would be $28,000. And if we can do it manually the powers that be won't spend the $$.

So you have Nexus. You must have Artpro too to have outlined fonts already (fonts outlined during import into a vector workflow). So your fonts are outlined and you have no problem doing that. At least that's a fix. Yes Eskoartwork should fix this problem. Have you contacted them about it?

Let's say they don't fix it. So you have import that can take in a PDF and outline fonts, so you can print it. Then, if type changes need made after that, you could open the original PDF (fonts embedded) in Iceni Infix2 and do the type changes, save as a new name, import the "fixed" PDF into Artpro, and copy just the changed type and paste onto the previous version of the Artpro document, and save as a new document. Or get Neo to be your PDF editor (which like Infix2 uses the PDF's embedded fonts to make type changes, but Infix2 costs less than a hundred hotdogs while Neo costs thousands of hotdogs, when about the only difference I've seen between Artpro and Neo are that Neo can use the PDFs embedded fonts to do type changes while Artpro can't). Not the best workaround, but it'll work.

Don

When we upgraded to the Total RIP it came with the pitstop modules... Did they not come with your installation?

We purchased Total Rip before the Pitstop stuff (2-years ago?) So, of course they want $$. We're getting by. I was just wondering why there are still so many issues with fonts - still...! With all software, not just Nexus. AAAUUUGGG

Although we haven't yet had to many font problems (we always outline our fonts at the beginning of every nexus workflow), I agree with you on the aaauuuggg towards fonts. I've never understood why there are so many versions of Times / Arial / Helvetica / Univers / ... basiclly every font there is. the $$ issue is probably the main reason but still, whats up with that...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back