Fuji Dop Plates

We have switched over to the Fuji DoP plate thanks to Printech and we have a couple of questions.

First is we are running a 2 color SM-52 with the water in integrated mode and we can not achieve a printable balance, either toning, scumming or washing out. Has anyone else encountered this and how can we improve this, and has switching to non-intergraded shown improvement?

Second, what are the recommended fountain solutions?

Third, what type of a shelve live does an exposed plate have? We are burning and running within 4 days and my pressman is questioning the background of the plate taking ink.

Dear Sir

I am attaching file.

Fountain solution infomation for FUJIFILM.

please check it.

Best regards
LEO

Attachments

• FountMax (3).zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 638
1) Fuji Ecomaxx T plates, I assume. Process on press plates are extremely calcium sensitive, so keep that in mind.

2) My Fuji contacts suggest running Superia PressMax JRDC fount at 3oz. and Superia PressMax ARS-ML sub at 2.oz for best results on the SM52

3) DOP plates are very light and scratch sensitive, so right away keep the plates covered with the tissue papers provided.

We are having some luck with the Fuji Ecomaxx T plates but we are still having clean up issues when we start our runs. Not every run but enough to be a pain. We are using Tower Millenium SF and Dynamic ARP fountain solution and are running on a SM52 with alcolor. We have our chiller running at 58 degrees and have replaced our water pan rollers due to issues and age. Is anyone else

I asked a plate tech about your post. While each scenario may differ and this is not definitive, it is a good starting point.

Understand that the tack of the ink is what removes the image from the plate. Optimal roller settings throughout the units are imperative to the plate’s development.
Too many try idling the press with the dampeners on to apply excessive water thinking it will help develop quicker. This may actually retard it as when they start the press up the tack of the ink is reduced from over-emulsification.
With all modern presses you should just be able to hit the production button and let the press start up in its normal cycle which starts the sheets feeding through the press and the units will go on impression in sequence. The non-image emulsion should be removed on the paper within 20 sheets.

If there is some residual emulsion remaining it should clean up on the next pull.
It is also critical that since the press is now the plate processor that weekly maintenance on the press is performed religiously. Drain Fountain Solution and perform roller maintenance. Roller maintenance is so critical and calcium is a major issue. Weekly preventative maintenance, not reactive problem fixing maintenance.

All our Heidlebergs run none intergraded 2 - 40" and 6 col SM 52. You will defiantly have better ink water balance. Less colour issues. Your plates should open up quicker.
RJ

This sounds pretty close to being exactly right, especially the part about maintenance being critical. Whether or not that actually happens is unfortunately, sometimes another story.

I have never fully understood the reasons the behind lack of preventative maintenance.

"Reactive" costs more in multiple ways. Management will dedicate hours to seek the lowest price on the coffee cups for the breakroom or copier paper, yet multi-million dollar revenue producing machines get nary a consideration. It's comical once I get past the absurdity of it.

Not buying the "we don't have time" thing, either. An hour a week would make a substantial difference. The fact is MANY, not all, pressroom problems are self-inflicted. Countless hours are wasted in non-productive ways during runs trying to fix a problem that may have been preventable in the first place.

The vast majority of ink, fount, plates and blankets are darn reliable and will perform as intended, for the most part, when run on properly maintained equipment by knowledgeable operators.

I know shops that change inks every couple weeks. Seeking lower price or better performance. Newsflash.... no ink will run well on glazed out of round neglected rollers. The savings will come by increased productivity, less makeready waste, less ink consumption and so on.

Too many vendors have shoveled it for so long as they reach into the clients pocket for more cash and throw useless billable solutions or products at the problem.
Too many shops are gullible enough to listen to the Utopian claims of savings, rebates or productivity because their short sighted spreadsheet hawks eat it that stuff up.

The old Fram oil adage never rang truer........"You can pay me now or you can pay me later".

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back