ProofColor

Marko

Any way to make certain color act like ProofColor? I would like the colors Cut Line, Die Line and Fold Line to either act like proof color or always to be aliased to them.

I tried making the ProofColor in the first color table along with the others and then Alias them to it but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Using PrintReady 3 Bld468 and Meta 6.2.022

Thanks

Edited by: Mark Oglesby on Dec 14, 2007 12:54 PM

Re: ProofColor

Hi Mark,

I am not too sure I understand what you are asking to do with ProofColor. Have you place a call into TAC?

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

I just made a permanent Spot Color in my InDesign swatches - "ProofColor" (spot of 80C-100Y).
When it hits the RIP it works like the RIP ProofColor and is ignored at plate output.
I still need to set them to overprint in the application, however.
I even created our "Proof Sign Off Tag" in ProofColor so it can be placed inside of jobs when sending to the RIP for HP approvals.

MSD

Hello Mark,

There is another option you may like to use. Sorry, but this is a bit lenghty.

You would start as Michael has proposed by creating a custom spot color you use in your desktop apps like "MyMarks" which you will use for the marks you want to act like proof color in your document. Next: In Printready go to the Administrator tab to Preferences -> Default Job Settings and be sure that "Take color definintions for new colors from color tables." is checked off. If you do not already have a Custom Color Database in Printready, create one in the Administrator-> Resources tab. For the first job that you will use this new color in, stop after Qualify is completedon the file and go to the Job Settings tab to the Colors Pane and select your new color. Then, in the columns to the right, you will see "Type". This is a pull down menu that you will access and select "dieline" as the definiton for your new color. Save the results and in the same window at the bottom select Export and export that color to your custom color database in Printready. This will force the color to overprint and not be sent to High Resolution Output saving you the overprint step in your desktop apps. You will not have to repeat these steps for future jobs as that will be saved to the system.

Hope that helps you and if you have any questions, just send me an email.

Best Regards,

Joyce

I was hoping someone would chime in with a more "bombproof" solution.
With my "ProofColor" spot color method, we have several issues - nothing unworkable.
- Our custom color is, by definition, a spot color - so it takes up a position in the color bar array we chose for the sheet. (But does not plate so that is no big deal)
- I have a logo graphic that is not transparent as a part of out "Proof Approval Tag" that I place in ProofColor on the press sheet.
No big deal, again, but we need to be careful that this small opaque area is not placed directly over live art or it knocks out.
If Joyce's method would, if fact, force everything to overprint and also to be ignored in the "Colors" list so as to be ignored for Color Bars - that would be sweet.

MSD

Michael,

That's a detail I didn't examine closely when testing the method I proposed. I will have to take a look at it when I get back into the office on Wednesday. I would like to think that "Dieline" would not appear in the colorbars but have no idea what kind of programming that would take. I'll be interested to see the result when I get back to work. Meanwhile- Happy New Year!

I'm back in the office and just finished testing. I am glad to report that colors defined as dieline do not occupy a space in the color bar, so you should be able to automate that part of the workflow for yourself successfully. :)

Best Regards,

Joyce

Edited by: Joyce Conboy on Jan 2, 2008 9:56 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back