Prinect Inpress Control 2 and Prinect Inspection Control

chevalier

I'm told we're very likely to get a new XL106 with Prinect Inpress Control 2 and Prinect Inspection Control. All I'm getting about these technologies is marketing/sales talk. Anybody out there with real info and experiences? How hard is it to make it work with non-Prinect prepress workflows?

No Title

Hi Chevalier,

I have a 106 with Inpress Control. To get Inpress Control to work with a non-Prinect workflow, there are two marks in the micro color bar that comes with the press that must be changed to a spot color (I named it 'Locator'). When the micro color bar is used in an imposition, our workflow "sees" the Locator spot color. Locator must ALWAYS be mapped to the darkest color on the job. The 'B' patch on the color bar must also be mapped to the darkest color. Here's what the mark looks like:

fetch

Also with Inpress Control, the color bar MUST be horizontally centered left to right and placed somewhere in the lower half of the sheet (towards the gripper).

Does this help?
pd

Attachments

• photo4824.jpg
    photo4824.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 193
I'm told I need a ~0.75 gripper margin (10mm + the room for a color bar) do you still need a tail color bar? We're already using these bars for our ImageControl on the tail but I don't understand the need for bars on both ends of the sheet.

Last edited:
In my system, the color bar sits just above the gripper dimension (which is 7/16") and the gripper side page trim is at one inch which gives enough room for gripper, color bar, and bleed/crop marks.

I suppose you could add a second color bar to the trailing edge of the sheet to make the job compatible with a non-Inpress press but I am not aware of any...need...to put a color bar at both ends of the sheet.

pd

Excellent info! Many thanks. A major concern is that all of our flat bed cutting dies are built to a 0.5" sheet edge (gripper) to first knife. We're looking at the possibility of having to do some kind of major retrofitting in our cutting department. I figured if I could rotate the die layout 180º and ensure 0.5" margin sheet edge (tail) to first knife we could just use the auto register cameras on the cutters and grip from the printing tail. I followed my logic through and that would require a human or special machine to shift the loads on load pallets from one end to the other after printing. Looks like the choices would be to introduce that manual labor, cutting will have to do some retrofitting to the presses and modify some tooling or we'll have to replace all of our tooling.

Apogee. As for your die press, does the cutting die face down and cut from the above the paper? If not, could you add shim to the die to compensate for the needed extra half inch?

pd

Apogee. As for your die press, does the cutting die face down and cut from the above the paper? If not, could you add shim to the die to compensate for the needed extra half inch?

pd

We're doing analysis on our potential options. We are a carton company so every sheet that comes out of our presses gets die cut. It turns out that there are others out there who have already been through this. The mix of die cutting equipment vendor and model is different though which may have very big impacts.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back