Getting Jobs / Ink Settings to Heidelberg Sheetfed Press via Linear Flash Card

Hello,

Our company has recently purchased a pre-owned Heidelberg CD 102-5+L sheet fed press (circa 2007)...

The press console has a card reader slot that has a Heidelberg linear flash card in it. I can see that the card still has jobs on it from the last company to own the press. These jobs can be loaded without any problem from the card. My question is, what will we need to write jobs / ink files to this card?

We use a Prinergy workflow solution to generate plates and just received a trial license for Printlink within Prinergy to generate our ink files (PPF files?). We also purchased an OmniDrive Professional LF card reader/writer. However, it appears I will need special software to write these jobs / ink files to the linear flash card, and in a format that the Heidelberg press console can read.

What will I need to be able to create job files with the ink settings embedded and write them onto the card so that the press console can read them? What options do I have? We do not have support from Heidelberg or a technician to speak with and I do not have a contact from Heidelberg to ask these questions to, at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Heidelberg has a software called Prepress Interface that converts the PPF files to the 'press language' you need, it also writes the files to the card reader.

I'm looking at the PressPerCent... I've sifted through a few other posts on the forum which lead me to PressPerCent. I don't know where to get the press settings though... I have a spec sheet brought up for the press, but it doesn't have all the info PressPerCent is asking for. Apparently I will need a 'Heidelberg Job Card' plugin, which definitely doesn't come with the demo version. Not sure if it comes with the full version.

Actually, That plugin IS in the demo, locatedin the OPTIONAL folder on the .dmg. Open the program and add it from the pref>export area....Demo just restricts you from setting a plate size....i think...

Yep, just found it! They gave us a trial license. I was able to take a PPF from Prinergy, open it and export to card, then write to the card! Now I need to work on getting our settings right for the press and within Prinergy's Printlink, etc.

Great!

hello

you generate a PPF file is ok.you need a Prepress interface and licence in your Heidelberg CD for activate option preset link

Hi guys... just an update. I did end up using PressPerCent. It opens up jobs in PPF format from our Prinergy system. It can successfully write settings to the Heidelberg linear flash card, no problem there. However, the ink key settings are way off. Does anyone know how I can correct this?

-I believe we can use DIO option, and put in adjustment curves in PressPercent's Zone and Ink curves to correct. We will need to run a takeoff form to figure out the curves needed for PressPerCent.

-I initially tried using the Area Coverage option. The press console seems to load ink key values from the job card, but they are off. I'm not sure if this is because we're not using the AxisControl spectro yet, or a licensing issue, or if characteristic curves need adjusted in the press console... If anyone has an advice or could give guidance, I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Sam

The area you need to control is in the press console. I recommend having a Heidelberg tech do this.

I appreciate your input akalaray. Yes, having a Heidelberg technician would be the preferred route. However, if this wasn't an option for you, what would your next move be?

I need to find out who our Heidelberg rep is in Pennsylvania, then find if I can get pricing on having a Heidelberg tech set up a whole workflow system for us...

I appreciate your input akalaray. Yes, having a Heidelberg technician would be the preferred route. However, if this wasn't an option for you, what would your next move be?

I need to find out who our Heidelberg rep is in Pennsylvania, then find if I can get pricing on having a Heidelberg tech set up a whole workflow system for us...

We have a very experienced pressman, who is familiar with the console. Did not take him long to figure out what needed to be done. Just call Heidelberg and they will answer your questions, But they will not lead you in adjusting the console, they will want to send a tech. Well worth it. Heidelberg 800-437-7388

I know I'm way late to the party, but just wanted to add. Another option to get CIP3 data from Prepress to the Press is to use a company called PrintFlow. They are in the EU, and they are who we use in our shop to connect Prinergy to our Heidelberg (used to be 3 now only 1). We already had the software going before I came onboard. But the times I've had to contact them for support, they have been GREAT! On the phone, and using TeamViewer to remote into the PC running the software. Can't say enough good words about the support they offer. And if you don't want to use that, I do have an OmniDrive available. Here is a link to their site:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back