Running a DI Press

AP90

Im not sure about you guys, but it seems like were now getting request for longer run jobs. We only do digital, and sometimes just can't compete. I have 0 experience in actually running any type of offset press and know its a totally different animal than digital. DI presses are waterless, and somewhat digital. Just wondering what the learning curve on something like a DI press is? Also, how would any of you go about learning to run one? I cant go work at another company to get the experience, so do you just read and read and read to learn, or buy one and then just start digging in? Not saying Im going to do that though. Just curious. Thanks!

Before I moved my shop, I considered a DI press. I was considering getting a new Xerox or DI. But I didn't have enough space or 3 phase power. Now that I am in my new location, I have the space and the 3 phase but I decided not to get a DI (or a new Xerox). It does seem like runs are getting longer but at the same time, getting shorter. I keep getting orders for 100 business cards, 50 labels, and 10 booklets. And then I'll get an order for 5,000 post cards and 2,500 envelopes. You either make very little money or you send them out. But to answer your question, I would buy it, shove some paper in it, hit the go button and see what happens. That's how I learned to run all my other machines over the years. When I run into a problem, then I grab the service manual and start reading.

We have a Presstek DI and I think it's terrible. I think a big part of it is Presstek service is terrible on the west coast, but it has a lot of weird quirks that a normal press doesn't have. Our pressman is always tearing his hair out trying to solve some dumb issue on it, and he's been running presses for 40 years.

Forget about the DI... especially if you want to stay competitive... Totally not worth it... Presstek is a terrible company to deal with and they DO NOT care about you or your bottom line and surely they do not deserve our money... Get a digital machine, learn how to do it's maintenance and run all your jobs on it... Trust me...some profit is better than none...and it's a lot less headache...

Forget about the DI... especially if you want to stay competitive... Totally not worth it... Presstek is a terrible company to deal with and they DO NOT care about you or your bottom line and surely they do not deserve our money... Get a digital machine, learn how to do it's maintenance and run all your jobs on it... Trust me...some profit is better than none...and it's a lot less headache...

We have a digital machine, but when someone comes in asking for 30000 11x17 brochures or even 4-5k 60 page booklets, theres simply no profit to be had unless your outsourcing and the customer is willing to pay the mark up price. It would be nice to grab some more of the longer run stuff.

we have a DI that used to run 10 hrs a day. it takes about 15 minutes to burn plates so there is that dead time between runs. we now have an igen4 and a couple of konicas. 1 guy runs all 3 copiers 10 hours a day and the DI runs about 10 hrs a week. we are a mixed shop with offset and digital machines and i think the DI will go soon and another big digital press will take its place.

I suppose you have to choose where your business should earn it's profits.... I think and it's only my opinion that large run jobs have a significantly less profit percentage and/or margin when compared to short run digital jobs... If something goes wrong with that large run, you will find yourself in deeper trouble... I suggest that you grow your short run digital business and enjoy the piece of mind since there are way too many ways for a job to go wrong....

1st why do you want a DI other than the economics of the "no click charge" What is the mix of work you plan to run on it . . . all process color or mostly 1 or 2 color? If your not considering process color work you could pick up a 1 or 2 color GTO and get a laser plate setter (we use a Xerox laser printer to run plates for some work on our GTOs) easier to run nearly bullet proof and the dampening systems are easy to learn. AND the presses are cheap look on ebay or wirebids.com to see how cheap. . . . For myself - I think we will always have some type of conventional presses under our roofs . .. too many long runs -

We have digital, but were offset first. It seems like most of the time the longer run full color work makes sense to send out to someone with a 40" press. Our 14x20 inch 4-color just can't compete on any kind of booklets because of all the plates and plate changes required.

We would be looking to do mainly 4 color work in it. I wondered how they compete being 13x19 essentially with all the plates used and changing time on say a 64 signature booklet.

they are 13x18.125 . assuming you are running 2 sides of 64 sheets 4 plates each at $900 per case just plates will run you over $3500 not to mention 32 hours to burn the images at 15 minutes each

Presstek managed to fool most of us once... Don't be a fool and get fooled by them again... Those proprietary plates are the only source of profits when running a DI press....and those profits are for Presstek only NOT FOR YOU!
​​Had VM Technologies not been bought by Presstek, we might have been able to compete with the larger presses but unfortunately the blood sucking Presstek bought them out to keep the prices of the plates higher... The only way to make money on a Presstek DI is to buy boxes of plates at less than $250 per box...the plate cleaner under 20 pet set and the cost of each laser be under $100 and that is NOT going to happen...

Forget DI. The only way to make money in small to medium runs is Offset. I would get a Heidelberg SM52-4 (Fully automatic press) + ctp.....you won't regret it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back