Printect 2018 and Mac OS High Sierra

Morning all, just wondering if anyone else is having locking issues with pdfs in Printect 2018 running on Mac OS High Sierra. Recently we have been experiencing issues with our pdfs once we open them through the program, make an adjustment with in Acrobat and re save it into the program. When we try and make a new pdf through the HRPDF que we get a message saying it can not write because the pdf is in use. We've also experienced the pdf not recognizing itself in the current page folder in systems.

We shut acrobat down, open and close the program, even try and delete this pdf from the pages folder but it will not allow it because somewhere in the Universe its holding on to something. Giving the impression that its still in use. Has anyone else running Printect on a Mac running OS High Sierra have this issue? Apparently it doesn't happen on PC. We are currently working with High Sierra 10:13.6 and the latest Acrobat Pro.

This issue also causes problems with using hot folders for automation purposes. Because of the lock it sees it as still being in use therefore not letting it pass through to the program also giving issues with deleting it from the hot folder once there. Gotta tell ya, frustrating.

So I'm reaching out to the masses to see if anyone has experienced this same issue and maybe have a solution. Out side of running on PC. We are a graphic shop that also prints so Mac is our weapon of choice. It's good to mention that this never was an issue until Sierra and High Sierra. We didn't upgrade without the checking with Heidelberg to see if Printect was supported in this OS. We were told it was supported. But later realized there was an issue. I've mentioned this issue to Heidelberg I find there software support awesome but unfortunately they haven't been able to solve the problem. I'm told by them that this maybe a Mac thing which it may be. Which doesn't solve my issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Dar

In my opinion it's not as much Prinect thing as it is Windows/Mac thing. We have had similar experience, but not as much as you mention. We are running Prinect on Windows Server 2012 R2. What server is Prinect running on? Did you do all possible changes to your networking on your mac's?

Hi Zoran, thanks for your reply. We are running the same server as you. We have done all possible changes that we know of to our Mac. Heidelberg even came in and tried some stuff, but still no joy. That is why I was reaching out to the community. To find out if anyone else experienced this and had a fix. Unfortunately Heidelberg did realize until after people started upgrading that this was an issue. It occurs even with updates. I have to shut off all of my macs in order to update the server or it will error out. Because something about the macs, could be the macs and the server itself is holding on to a hidden element maybe I'm not sure. But as of now I'm at a loss. We work around it, but I would love to solve it.

Sometimes the error messages Macs give aren't precise. One thing you could check is the PDF's permissions? (right click file, select "Get Info"). I've noticed in our shop when a Mac user places a file on our Windows server, often times that user is -the only- user who can modify that file. Another program might interpret the lack of permissions as the file being in use. When I look at our own files that are locked up that way, I'll see lots of users with "Custom" or "Read Only" access but only one (the initial user) with "Read & Write" access.

Thanks for the suggestion I will check this out again. I've looked into the permissions on the pdfs and they are read and right for everyone. Its such a weird issue. We work off of servers here, opening from and saving back to. So maybe there is something in that. I'm not sure. We never drag anything to our mac to work on. Maybe something to try. But I appreciate all your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Hi,
No fun at all. We run the same setup but with Sierra, we are about to upgrade to High Sierra. First thought is that this is a networking issue. I would try conneting to the fileserver and Prinectserver using different protocols such as SMB1, SMB2, SMB3. Run "smbutil statshares -a" command to see which protocols is in use.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back