Postscript files

Hi everybody
we are a commercial print shop and we ask our clients to email us or ftp us their files, mainly postscript files, it has been working great however I need to know is there any other way to reduce the postscript files other then compressing them through zip of stuffit? meaning reducing it within the postscript itself or maybe using OPI within the postscript.
Thanks

Pardon my ignorance but why not PDF?
If you transfer files as PDF's, you are lookin in many cases at 10 times smaller file with same quality.
The way I look at it is Postscript was great thing why it lasted but it didn't keep up with technology (not getting into political thing here), PDF replaced it and present and future is PDF.
Other than distilling PS to PDF, I am not aware of anything to downsize PS files.

If you are using the Kodak Insite Prepress portal to send files, it does a non-lossy compression on the upload and an automatic decompression when it arrives, regardless of the file format.

I agree that you should move to PDF (haven't we had enough politics on this one) as it's original intentions were to be a better vehicle for ebooks. Remember those halycon days?

OPI can be used either way, but really only makes sense if you are doing all the scans and there's a whack of 'em.

Reminds me of a customer who was struggling once with settings on OPI. I asked him for a screenshot. He sent me a printed photograph, taken with a tripod.

/sound of Syquest hitting concrete/
:)
Allan Larson

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back