Can Special Marks be imported into Preps 8?

lostmind

Hi All!

This may be a simple question….We just upgraded from EVO 5.3 to the newest PGY and Preps 8 due to them not supporting EVO anymore. I just finished the 3-day training which doesn't include detailed training on Preps 8. I've been using Preps 6 so there's not too much of a difference (a few changes) other than Preps 8 is now incorporated in the new Prinergy. My pressmen like to have their own sets of color bars and some other marks that are eps files. Does anyone know if I can import those marks in Preps 8 and if so, where? Is there a marks folder you can copy them into? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

take note … this is coming from preps-7 and not preps-8 … furthermore, i work mac-osx (snow-leopard) … things may be different on your side.

the custom-marks i create are done in illustrator-cs6 … saved as *.eps file (for server) … and then re-saved as *.pdf file (for display).

name of server is AraxiPreps … inside are directories labeled Marks 'n Preps 'n Profiles 'n etc. within the Marks directory are folders labeled "SmartMarks" 'n "DupMarks" 'n Resources 'n etc. you can retain copies of your marks-files (pdf and eps) within the Marks folder. if you create smart-marks … best to link your smart-mark to the files in marks folder.

if you just now placed the *.eps 'n *.pdf files in the marks folder … you will need to quit and re-open preps … this action will force a "list-refresh".

preps / resources / new-smart-mark / custom-mark … the second field in the interface is for you to choose the custom eps files. when printing your *.pjtf file … the pdf-file will automatically link to the eps-file for output.

in closing …
i do things a bit differently in our sweatshop, since our dept utilizes both 5.3.3 and 7.0 … naturally, this leads to some incompatibility issues. so, rather than focusing on server-supplied araxipreps/marks folder … i simply go into sub-folder within the templates-folder … create my own environment (preps533 and preps7 directories) and maintain my own marks-folder therein. in this way … my marks do not interfere with others in the team.

Attachments

• tutorial.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 394
Thanks pnamajck. It took a lot of work but the installer was able to get them into Preps 8 so it can be done.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back