Preps for perfect bound book, no bleed on the inside

redlik

HI,
Just asking the experts on Preps layout.
My finishers ask me to do a layout for perfect bound book but for the inside bleed to have to printing included. So no bleed on the inside edge but keep the distance of 3mm. Allegedly it's better for gluing not to have the printing where the pages are shredded and glued together.
Is there a quick way to do it or do I have to drag the pdf into InDesign, export it without inside bleed and put it into my layout inside Preps?
Thnx R.

Is there a quick way to do it or do I have to drag the pdf into InDesign, export it without inside bleed and put it into my layout inside Preps?
Thnx R.

So far as i know in PREPS (5.3) there is only an all around standard bleed, so that means the new export from Indesign is faster than foreground placed "white" rectangles to hide the unwanted bleed in every place whre needed in the bound in the signature.

Take care by using the bleedbox regarding the central position from left to right by placing the pages...

Last edited:
So far as i know in PREPS (5.3) there is only an all around standard bleed, so that means the new export from Indesign is faster than foreground placed "white" rectangles to hide the unwanted bleed in every place whre needed in the bound in the signature.

Take care by using the bleedbox regarding the central position from left to right by placing the pages...

That's not true. You can manually set any bleed for page in preps 5.3 and any preps. And preps do not use bleed box - only trimbox.

That's not true. You can manually set any bleed for page in preps 5.3 and any preps. And preps do not use bleed box - only trimbox.

True, you can specify separate bleed for all sides, but they're not "facing pages" aware - there's no inside/outside just L/R so I would have to change left or right depending if it's front or back of the sheet.
Aaaa well.

For our perfect bound work, we set the bleed to 0 on the spine side. Running Preps 8 now but has been the same since preps 5.

It changes the front and back of the sheet at the same time. You can select all LHP's on the front and change the bleed on the right to zero and it will change the left side bleed of the RHP's on the back. Then select all LHP's on the from and change the bleed on the left to zero and it will change the right side bleed of the LHP's on the back. Then make your spacing between those pages to the bleed you took out * 2 (you took bleed out of two pages so the spacing would be your normal bleed of one page * 2).

I actually couldn't find the bleed just for spine side. Or maybe I'm missing something, I'm on 7.1

For standard layout odd pages will always have spine on the left, even on the right. When you set your bleed values at the front they automatically applies to the back

Attachments

• photo7475.jpg
    photo7475.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 409
Where is that option, sorry? I can only change bleed with white arrow on individual pages, not the whole imposition...

Where is that option, sorry? I can only change bleed with white arrow on individual pages, not the whole imposition...

Yes that is the way you have to do it. But you can select multiple pages such as all RHP's by COMMAND+CLICK on a Mac. If you are on Windows I'm sure there is a key combo that allows that as well.

That's the job! I can save one sheet as a template and re-use it for more section if needed. Cool! and thanks

That is not actually bleed, that is binding "section" and you have to leave those 3 mm in spine because of the glue bind. The binding machine is cutting those 3mm and that is why they told you not to include actual bleed (as in you don't need any graphical content in that space but you need the space itself). If the book were intended to be sawed first, then you mustn't leave the empty space in spine because it will not be cut off and therefore will be just white stripe in the spine of every page in the book.

I hope this is helpful.

That is not actually bleed, that is binding "section" and you have to leave those 3 mm in spine because of the glue bind. The binding machine is cutting those 3mm and that is why they told you not to include actual bleed (as in you don't need any graphical content in that space but you need the space itself). If the book were intended to be sawed first, then you mustn't leave the empty space in spine because it will not be cut off and therefore will be just white stripe in the spine of every page in the book.

I hope this is helpful.

It was mentioned upthread to add space between the pages equal to the amount of 'bleed' removed.

I hope this is helpful.

So, I should really have 6mm on that end, 3mm of white and 3mm of the inside bleed, so in a situation of joint pictures, they will match nicely when one opens the book regularly, not crack open the book completely and break the spine.
Or not?

you want your standard 6mm gutter between pages, normally this is 3mm of bleed from from both pages. Your finisher has requested that area to be be white so change the bleed on the LH and RH pages to 0mm in Preps as described by Joe. You do not normally compensate for opening the book and breaking the spine. Only the glue-hinge pages where the inside cover pages are glued to front and last page of text need some allowance if you are running a picture spread across the spine.
If you are trying to compensate for not opening the book far enough to damage the spine there are no hard and fast rules as to how many mm to do this but in preps you could negative creep your pages a little, or adjust your trim boxes on the pages you see that is going to be an issue, it certainly won't be as much as 3mm

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back