Checking focus on Kodak Achieve 800

DCurry

We have a Kodak Achieve 800, been in service under light use for about 4 years. Is there a way I can check the laser focus? Been having some issues on press lately and while I don't think it's the CTP, I want to rule it out as it should be a simple thing to check. Trying not to open up a service call unless necessary.

Can you describe specifically what press issues your having and why is the laser focus considered a possible reason?

The issues they have are myriad and no one really thinks it's a focus issue, but since there aren't too many variables from the CTP side I am willing to check it for no other reason than to rule it out before they embark on real troubleshooting. Most of the issues stem from the fact that we have a new-to-us used press and no proper training yet on how to run it. That is being addressed soon.

The issues they have are myriad and no one really thinks it's a focus issue, but since there aren't too many variables from the CTP side I am willing to check it for no other reason than to rule it out before they embark on real troubleshooting. Most of the issues stem from the fact that we have a new-to-us used press and no proper training yet on how to run it. That is being addressed soon.

Try this diagnostic method....

Create a grid of 3" squares. The grid should be the size of your plate. The rule thickness of the grid lines should be 1pt. The color of the grid black. The grid should be set to overprint an area of tone the size of your plate. The area should be set to 40% black.

The result will look something like this:

Grid.jpg

Image 4 plates. They should all be identical since they are all K only

Mount the plates on press.

Then print K only

Then print C only

Then print M only

Then print Y only

The grid allows you to check specific areas of the plate and compare those same areas with those for each color on the press sheet.

It allows you to check area by area the integrity of the plate imaging.

It allows you to check area by area the integrity of the press ink lay down.

You can also further refine your investigation by taking photo micrographs of the areas - both plate and press - that have anomalies to determine if it's a plate or press anomaly.

I don't know anything concrete about the Kodak's TH5 imaging as there is nothing substantive on their website. Heck, they're still using the graphics I did some 20 years ago! :p

Thanks, Gordo.

If they're still using your old graphics, it just proves that you made them timeless!

you will need a Service Dongle in order to do that. with it you can do some test and troubleshoot the plates settings if any found!

You need service dongle or special software to create the service license permission then typing command dos for it

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back