Kodak Sonora X plates?

wonderings

Our service guy was in dealing with an issue we had with our CTP today and he mentioned some new Kodak Plates. Doing a little research I found the new Kodak Sonora X plates. Apparently they can be imaged faster and some other little positives. Anyone switch from Sonora XP to these new X plates? Any negatives about them?

Waiting to get some pricing from our provider and see if it is something that would actually be beneficial to try.

Absolutely no negatives, just positives - less blind, better run length, better scratch resistance.
One point to keep in mind - test your current deleting markers with them before you switch completely
​​​​

Hello alibryan,

I didn't expect to read such a "poor reply" from a man with your knowledge and experience, so a two-part question for you and anyone else, re the Criteria of Litho Plates.

1) Factors that influence the Lithographic Performance of plates. 2) Factors that influence the Reproductive Performance of plates.

Regards, Alois

Hello alibryan,

I didn't expect to read such a "poor reply" from a man with your knowledge and experience, so a two-part question for you and anyone else, re the Criteria of Litho Plates.

1) Factors that influence the Lithographic Performance of plates. 2) Factors that influence the Reproductive Performance of plates.

Regards, Alois

Is it me or does Alois always talk in riddles?

We haven't trialled the new Sonora X plates. We ran an extensive trial on both Sonora and their predecessor whose name evades me, due to feed back from our press operators, we returned to a wet process plate
The issues:
Plates had to be used within 2 days of exposure otherwise had problems with DOP process
Poor definition of latent image
Inconsistent results in start up impressions
Plates picking up ink from load rollers from previously unloaded plates, preventing emulsion from stripping in that area
Build up of emulsion on ends of rollers requiring rollers to be removed from machine and cleaned by hand
Other than these issues, the plates performed well, run length is shorter than a wet process plate and Staccato 10 screen resolution in not supported.

This only reflects our experience in our specific production environment, others have reported good results
Our environment, which affects the suitability of the plates is:
A large proportion of our work is short run bookwork requiring multiple quick plate changes with no blanket washes in between
Our presses are Heidelberg 74 Speedmasters, with a sheet size of 740x530mm but the majority of work on these presses is on 650x455 stock, which accounts for the build up on the 45mm section of roller where the emulsion is not being transferred to the stock

Anyone using auto plate loading on press with these plates? If so, how are the plates working with it. I've heard with the X, it was an issue. We have auto loaders on our presses, and wouldn't switch to process-less without being able to still use our auto loaders.

Magnus59,

DOP plates are extremely calcium sensitive and it is vital to thoroughly clean your rollers. What the majority of shops use is NOT EFFECTIVE enough. The calcium and the gum, paper lint, ink and other layers of roller debris encapsulated in the rollers by the calcium is a major part of your struggles. I kid you not.

Contact Print and Pack and ask them about an incredibly effective and safe roller cleaning system they supply. You will never hand scrub rollers again and you will rectify many of the issues you bemoan. You will immediately have much improved ink transfer and color control, minimize stripping and realize more productive printing.

Please feel free to PM for more in depth information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back