Kodak appoval issues

G_Town

I have seen a pattern on supplied proofs. If the color target that is supplied by the separator is a Fuji Final proof we usually get a pretty good match when we pull a proof on our Fuji.

When the proof is an approval, however, our proof is usually no where near it. I happened to be looking at a proof the other day with a lighted beta viewer and noticed that the dots on the approval were crap compared to the Fuji (ours and supplied) the dots were spotty with pinholes thruout, not good density and almost had an emulsificated look to them, which makes me think this is our problem with not being able to match the supplied color target unless we spend time color correcting to get our proofs to match the supplied proofs.

Are these approvals not calibrated or set up correctly? Can you get a good dot on an approval? and what should we be telling our customer/color house what to do to fix the situation?

One last thing, on one job we have noticed that the approval has noticeably faded in about 3 weeks since we have had it here (no it wasn't sitting in a window).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Kodak appoval issues

I'm assuming that you've only received Approvals from one vendor, and that all Approval proofs from all sources do not exhibit the same issue.

>I happened to be looking at a proof the other day with a lighted beta viewer and noticed that the dots on the approval were . . . spotty with pinholes thruout, not good density and almost had an emulsificated look to them,

Check the density of the solids. Most Approvals have a color bar on the proof, by default it is at the top. The default densities specified by Kodak for SWOP should be :

C 1.30 +/- .05
M 1.45 +/- .05
Y 0.85 +/- .03
K 1.65 +/- .05

We do have proof setups for different printers to better match their press conditions that use different density settings. We have also used modified tone curves to better match devices.

Do the solids show the same issue as the dots ? Do all colors show the same problem, or just one or two of the colors ?

>Are these approvals not calibrated or set up correctly?

Likely.

>Can you get a good dot on an approval?

Yes.

>and what should we be telling our customer/color house what to do to fix the situation?

Not sure.

From the sounds of it, the proofs might have been made without the "prelam" media. Prelam is optional, but how the color is adhered to the paper and the durability of the proof is compromised if you don't use it.

They could have a low laser and don't want to have it replaced, or not know about it.

It is possible they don't do a power calibration each time they replace donor media, or don't do QA on each proof to make sure the densities are within tolerances.

Chasd

Actually it's form a couple of different vendors.

One job in particular had weak densities but thats the proof that noticeably faded. Most others were in the ball park for densities.

Solids show the same issues, week color pinholes etc..

I have hard about the prelam issue so thats good to here it repeated.

Thanks for the info!

If the proof has faded in 3 weeks check to see if the pre laminate was used, bet it wasnt.

Also if your comparing dots with a loop to your fugi Final you wont see highlights on the approval due to the optical gain that is built into it.
Measure it with a densitometer and see, thats how it is here and I have 2 XP4s that are meticulously maintained.
Also if your seeing pin holes in your solids on the approval chances are a Device Link profile was used in rip to simulate the press condition.
Again that is something that I see here using Kodaks G7 Proofing set up with thier DVL in EVO.

Not sure if that is your case but it sounds familair to me !

John

Edited by: John Romano on Oct 4, 2007 11:59 AM

The pinholes maybe just part of the simulation.

I asked the same question years ago with our XP4 - I was told that that it more closely represents printing conditions. I can see what they mean[Kodak] - but I too have found the pinholes to be a little 'frustrating' at times, although it's been rare that customers have noticed.

Maybe what you're experiencing is something different.

We always prelam for contract work, and when possible for other proofing/mockups etc

No excuse for week densities. Either incorrect setup, calibration/laser issue, or faulty lamination.

St

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back