Latest Java update problems with Workshop. Don't install yet...

alarson

I have encountered some problems with the latest Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2 with my Prinergy Workshop on the Mac. Don't install until our product development team responds with the compatible version.

Update: from Product Development

Update: from Product Development

There was a 10.4 Java update last night as well, so I'd expect similar problems there.

Some inititial investigation seems to indicate the following:

The Java update seems to prohibit use of aliases to the OS JavaApplicationStub file. This technique is used by Workshop 4.0.2.4 and lower.

Workarounds:
1) Don't update Java.
2) If you've already updated Java, you can modify your Workshop to use the actual JavaApplicationStub, not an alias:
On your Mac, find the Workshop icon (Applications\Kodak\Prinergy\Workshop). Select Workshop icon, rightclick+"Show Package Contents"
Go to \Contents\MacOS
rename the "JavaApplicationStub" file to "JavaApplicationStub.original"
Right-click on the JavaApplicationStub.original file, and select "Show original". A new Finder window will open (pointing to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/)
Select the JavaApplicationStub file. Select "File\Copy" to add to the clipboard.
press Back button in Finder to bring you back to the content of the Workshop package (Applications\Kodak\Prinergy\Workshop\Contents\Mac OS)
Select File\Paste to copy the real JavaApplicationStub file.
Close all Finder windows. Workshop should now start.

This issue is also fixed automatically in 4.0.2.5 and higher (co-incidentally... we happened to move away from the "alias to OS copy of JavaApplicationStub" in that update for other reasons).

James

well, you can update java

well, you can update java

update java
then replace the workshop java stub shortcut with the original as described above - step 2

There is a new revision coming out soon that will fix this in the install of Workshop. I was down hard myself for a couple hours too.
AL

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back