PDF Engine

Nope. the cool thing is that each job can be switched to either the CPSI (Postscript interpreter) or the APPE (PDF print engine). AND, you don't have to reboot the machine to switch modes... nudge...nudge

My guess is that an intense file that runs through the CPSI will now process about 30% quicker through the PDF print engine.
Allan

Nope. the cool thing is that each job can be switched to either the CPSI (Postscript interpreter) or the APPE (PDF print engine). AND, you don't have to reboot the machine to switch modes... nudge...nudge

My guess is that an intense file that runs through the CPSI will now process about 30% quicker through the PDF print engine.
Allan

The Adobe PDF Print Engine is indeed a standard component of Prinergy beginning with Prinergy 4.0. However, you must specifiy that you want to use it instead of CPSI. Furthermore, for jobs that use the Adobe PDF Print Engine, make sure you turn off the option that forces your PDF file to be "refined" (ruining your PDF by converting your PDF file with live transparency into PostScript and then back into PDF thus causing evil flattening to be performed) prior to the Adobe PDF Print Engine RIP process!

- Dov

The Adobe PDF Print Engine is indeed a standard component of Prinergy beginning with Prinergy 4.0. However, you must specifiy that you want to use it instead of CPSI. Furthermore, for jobs that use the Adobe PDF Print Engine, make sure you turn off the option that forces your PDF file to be "refined" (ruining your PDF by converting your PDF file with live transparency into PostScript and then back into PDF thus causing evil flattening to be performed) prior to the Adobe PDF Print Engine RIP process!

- Dov

Hi Dov

I've been using Prinergy 4 since the early betas, everything that gets added to Prinergy gets refined. I think that the part of the process you're referring to is done during Normalizing in the refining plan. You have the option under PDF Level Handling to either refine the PDF with "Leave As Is"--preserving any native transparency in Acrobat 5 or later files--or you can choose to "Flatten to PDF 1.3" which kills transparency by going to Acrobat 4 format. As Kodak described it to me there was no going back to Postscript when the PDF RIP was used. (Of course I don't work for Adobe or Kodak, so there could be more going on here that I don't know about).

Shawn

Thanks everyone for the response's. I think we have gone off track for the topic. I'm using a competing PDF workflow and found out the new PDF engine is a chargable option whereas it seems other workflows do not charge for it. This is leave a little bit of a sour taste with me. We all know you will need to eventually replace the old CPSI rip with the PDF engine and it seems like a forced charge.

Thanks

Keri

Keri

So, is anyone having problems with the PDF Print Engine?

We are a new install and currently have it set as our default rip setting.
Due to some error messages which we keep getting - JMF Client Errors,
the response center has indicated we should try switching to the CPSI rip
to see if the random error messages disappear.

I am concerned as we have a ton of transparency/drop shadow type of jobs!

Keri

JMF Client Errors would have nothing to do with the Adobe PDF Print Engine, but rather, product code surrounding the Adobe PDF Print Engine.

- Dov

JMF is an extended JDF with gives a feedback from the machine to the workflow, isn't it? So, it has really nothing to the PDF Print engine.

Product code?

So do you know how we rectify the errors?

Contact Kodak. They are the ones who support the product. By product code, I am referring to the programming provided by Kodak that directs your job to the Adobe PDF Print Engine and then routes the resultant rasters to the appropriate device.

- Dov

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back