Kodak Approval - How do you rate it?

Kristian

We currently have a Digital AQ2 Cromalin. We use the IFG stock to transfer proofs with a White toner onto either Clear or Metallic stocks.

We looked into the Approval many years ago but found the costs way too high. Kodak have been on site today and told us that the running costs and cost per proof should now be cheaper than our Cromalin. (I'm waiting for the official quote).

I just wanted peoples thoughts on the approval. Common problems / issues. Consistency and build quality. There are always a lot for sale in the "items for sale section" why is this?

Any help is appreciated.

XP4s are a bit more work to keep consistant. Ours were in an A/c & humidity controled room & still needed to be checked for drifting every shift.

Switched to Fuji final proof. It rarely needs to be calibrated

Kodak laser burn time controls color on each CMYK materail
Fuji materail is at a set densitity and laser only burns material where image needs to stay.

Both are good machines, Final proofer is just less work

We have this "High End" client that insists on Kodaks.
They are so "High End" that their photoshop files
come in without embedded profiles
and - of course - all their sRGB photos come into, and out of,
InDesign assigned Abobe RGB.
None the less ...
our HP5500 proofs match the Kodaks so closely
it makes one wonder where reality begins and ends.
( We do make some bad ass HP proofs - if I do say so myself)
But ...
to have the cash to fly someone out from Colorado to
press check a Business Card and a Post Card -
the price of a Kodak is, no doubt, irrelevant.

MSD

XP4s are a bit more work to keep consistant. Ours were in an A/c & humidity controled room & still needed to be checked for drifting every shift.

Switched to Fuji final proof. It rarely needs to be calibrated

Kodak laser burn time controls color on each CMYK materail
Fuji materail is at a set densitity and laser only burns material where image needs to stay.

Both are good machines, Final proofer is just less work

Thanks Sveibl

Is calibration the same as a normal Cromalin or GMG system? Scanning a test chart etc

Would we be able to output proofs and get them verified to ISO12647?

How do you proof metallics on a HP5500???

We have this "High End" client that insists on Kodaks.
They are so "High End" that their photoshop files
come in without embedded profiles
and - of course - all their sRGB photos come into, and out of,
InDesign assigned Abobe RGB.
None the less ...
our HP5500 proofs match the Kodaks so closely
it makes one wonder where reality begins and ends.
( We do make some bad ass HP proofs - if I do say so myself)
But ...
to have the cash to fly someone out from Colorado to
press check a Business Card and a Post Card -
the price of a Kodak is, no doubt, irrelevant.

MSD

Hi Kristian

We have a XP4 for a almost a year. Needed to pick one up for a client who insisted on accurate proofs for metallics. Does a great job. We do not have a lot of experience with the unit as not many clients are requesting them because they are expensive or our clients trust us. But I can tell you the quality is excellent in terms of proofs themselves and the device. You do need to run out a density calibration as mentioned, by running a strip and using the supplied spectronomitor. There are 2 catches we have seen. The white donor material has a curling issue which could present itself at any moment, rendering the roll useless. Kodak is aware of it. Second would be you cannot always predict how much material will be used to create a proof.

Good luck!

We currently have a Digital AQ2 Cromalin. We use the IFG stock to transfer proofs with a White toner onto either Clear or Metallic stocks.

We looked into the Approval many years ago but found the costs way too high. Kodak have been on site today and told us that the running costs and cost per proof should now be cheaper than our Cromalin. (I'm waiting for the official quote).

I just wanted peoples thoughts on the approval. Common problems / issues. Consistency and build quality. There are always a lot for sale in the "items for sale section" why is this?

Any help is appreciated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back