From Brisque to Prinergy

margadri

Hy Everyone
I'm new to this forum and for what I have seen so far it looks something I have been missing all my working life!
I have been working with PSM and Brisque 3 and 4 for around 9 years
I will start working for a new company next month that uses Prinergy!
In a quick shot, what I am going to put myself into?
Troubles or the move should be nice and easy???
Thank you in advance and congratulation for this forum!!

Edited by: Adriano on Oct 27, 2007 3:18 AM

Re: From Brisque to Prinergy

We just switched from Rampage to Prinergy and it is pretty damn awesome. I think you'll be happy with it. I sure am. And if you have more questions, just post them on this forum and you will get answers. That being said, it's time for you to go kick some Prinergy Butt!

So Danny,
What are the things that you like about it the most?

Thank you for the encouraging words!
I am a bit nervous mostly about the workflow routine being different!
Do you impose in Preps the ripped files like Brisque impose?
And does it still have assg. files with CT and LW??
I know nothing and I am not member of Creocentral so I can't download tutorials!
Do you have any pdf tutorial I can have a look at it??
Thank you for all the help I an get!!

Well, you impose on the fly. Let's say you take an 8pp Work and Turn. You can take a PDF, render it and hook up the proper layout in a few simple steps. Done! Or you can create a workflow that will do it all for you. Then you can have that workflow stop prior to proofing and plating until you're ready for it. You have lot's of control over how you want to do things. It's very cool! This week we are going to be 100 percent Prinergy and Zero percent Rampage. That being said, by friday I'll really know how I feel.

Danny

Good luck Danny and thank you for the input!
I will start the 19th of November!
I am excited!!

>>And does it still have assg. files with CT and LW??

No it doesnt its all PDF now, so the biggest thing for us was press corrections are / were more dificult.
You will be editing images in Acrobat Pro, somtimes can be tricky when saving out.

Thank you John
So no more Presstouch and colour correcting CT in Photoshop?
That doesn't sound too good!!

no more presstouch for sure, but in instances of color correction, you can open images in photoshop through acrobat using the touch-up object tool.

one thing we have all really had a crash-course in is troubleshooting files in acrobat using pitstop and the prinergy plug-ins. i find the prinergy workflow to be fantastic, and i think you are going to be very pleased with the new workflow.

cr

Thank you for the good words, cris_r
I am looking forward to the change
And this forum is very good!
Thank you all!

Key differences between Brisque and Prinergy:
- No raster data until it is sent somewhere. No RIP. Refine to PDF and kept there, even with transparency/layers preserved.
- No need to create Assign files. oracle does it for you
- PDF traps instead of FAF. (But as a historical note, Creo used Scitex patents and logic to create Prinergy trapper!!)
- No need to go to Preps if you have the template already. Signature selection is sweet.
- No need to worry about CT/Lw issues anymore. Period.
- file sizes and network traffic are a fraction of what you use on the Brisque
- floating licenses instead of dongles.
- Last minute color remapping, trap adjustments, page substitutions, screening changes a piece of cake.
- Images CAN be edited into Photoshop using Acrobat Pro's Advanced Editing. Easier than Presstouch
- Don't have to worry about SP1, SP2 color bar stuff..

Similarities
- Can create hotfolders the same, job naming the same, template creation the same
- Can print to all of your existing equipment faster
- Same company that knows the beefs/wish lists of both Brisques/Prinergy users. See Graphics User's Association annual meeting to believe product development in action.
- Can import CT/LW and can also export CT/LW for the hardcore folks who just can't let go of a big file.

Our studies have shown an average increase in prepress productivity of 28% in migrating to Prinergy. Enjoy.
AL

What do you miss ,if anything, from Brisque, presstouch, etc compared to Printergy?

i can only speak for myself, but there is not one aspect of brisque i miss when i am working in prinergy. granted, i am on old rampage user who moved to the brisque in a job change and immediately disliked it, so i may not be impartial. i find prinergy to an open, easy to use interface where the workflow can be molded to do almost anything you want. it is almost as if the only limits you have when automating your workflow is your imagination, and i have a faily active imagination!

cr

Danny - why did you switch from Rampage to Prinergy. Switching from Brisque, those are two of my options and wonder why someone would switch to Prinergy from Rampage. TIA.

Thank you Allan
Appreciate your explanation!
Is there any pdf tutorial around that I can download, just to be prepared for the new job?
I like to ask useful questions and I need a basic understanding of the process to waste less time when instructed!
Thank you all

We switched from Brisque 5 to Prinergy about 3 months ago. The transition in the beginning was smooth. When Prinergy was installed we were processing new jobs within the 3rd day of on-site training and unplugged the Brisque within a month just to finish existing Brisque jobs.

Seems like the past month have started running into some issues.

One of our ongoing issues is our plating JTP goes corrupt at least every other day, even with the new update. We are running a LotemQuantum 800 receiving files direct from a render station.

Have not had much success picking up Brisque CT/LW files and converting them into the Prinergy workflow. Usually get text and vector images going fat such as transparency issues usually seen in the Brisque workflow. End up using the Postscript file created from the native application, and distilling that. The issue is we were told you could easily use the old CT/LW files. Makes a exact rerun a real adventure at times especially if PressTouch work was done on the previous job.

And talking about exact reruns, they do take a little longer than the Brisque workflow. On the Brisque we just copied over the pick up Brisque files to a new job number, rename the .IFC file and retranslate. Not as easy on the Prinergy workflow, unless we are doing it wrong.

Lately been having trapping issues with text trapping in different directions when on top of in image. Seems like it got worse with the new update.

That is my experience with Prinergy. We also have service calls on these issues.

There is some feature I do like such as using a true PDF workflow, smaller file sizes, Rules Based Automation and Insite.

Any advise from seasoned Prinergy users on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

MCJerryD

Brisque operators are the quickest to pick up Prinergy in my experience, once they let go of former habits. Assuming that familiar workarounds are still needed are sometimes wrong.

Kodak provides Brisque to Prinergy specific training once a new install is taking place for operators. There might be a PDF of that course if you contact your sales rep.

Little tips: Never do another DCS file if you can avoid it. Save the image as PSD and update link. Never flatten in the application. Skip Postscript if you can. Don't distill the PDF before sending to Prinergy. Oh, and stop calling it a RIP if you can..... :) It's a Refine with Rendering later.

Cheers,
Allan

Thank you again Allan
You must feel good to be on the winning side!!
Creo in my opinion is the best!
Since here in Australia was called Mediatech and after Scitex!
I hope Kodak will keep up the good work
Never had any problems with Dolev800 or Trendsetter excluding wear and tear!
Way to go!
Thank you for the tip about the PDF
I will ask the "guys" in charge here

We have a similar story switching from Brisque 4 to Prinergy. It was about 6 months ago and we started up quickly. We have not been able to use ANY of our previous Brisque CT/LW files so have had to re-refine everything. We were told it would be easy to pick up our old files.

The biggest problem we've had is when changes are made to the imposition. "Update Imposition" works only sporadically it seems - it often errors out. Also, if a new spot color has been introduced to the imposition, updating the imposition will not pick up the spot color. You have to unassign, remove imposition and re-import imposition. If we update an imposition more than a couple of times, we end up unassigning, removing the imposition and bringing in the imposition all over again. Unassigning the pages and removing the imposition and then re-importing the imposition is not hard, just annoying and it happens frequently. Tech. support doesn't have an answer to this. Their answer is just to unassign, remove and re-import over and over. Brisque was very easy to change an imposition, add or remove pages, add or remove color bars and then re-print over to the Brisque. Done. In Prinergy if the page count doesn't match the "Page Sets", you have to (you guessed it) unassign, remove imposition and re-import imposition. Also, the spot colors have to be re-mapped each time you do this.

Sorry to burst the bubbles out there, but I liked my Brisque better. By the way, I used Rampage previously and liked it. It wasn't as good as the Brisque, but I didn't expect it to be. I was told Prinergy would be as good as the Brisque - it's not.

Thank you Kriste for you honest reply
I knew that there would have been problems with the switch!
Fortunately at the new job I have to sit down and watch for a week or so!
This company has made the Prinergy jump from Brisque an year ago, so I believe that most of the old Brisque files have been "solved" already!
The Prinergy switch unfortunaly is necessary been that Brisque will not be updated anymore!
Thank you all
Wish me luck
Cheers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back