From Prinergy to Rampage?

Franknater

Those using Prinergy that may have a Rampage background, is this going to be be an easy move? Keep Priinergy or use both...somehow?

Since I have not used Prinergy, I would like to know how it would compare. I'm looking at another job and they are looking at me for Rampage experience should they take the Rampage.

Frank

Re: From Prinergy to Rampage?

Are you talking about Prinergy or Prinergy Evo? Big difference from what I hear. Rampage is great, but it's not as flexible as Prinergy. And I'm not really sure what your question is. Is your current company switching? You are using Prinergy now and going to Rampage? Why (?) would be my next question.

We have both Rampage and Prinergy. We were a Rampage shop only and about a year or so ago purchased Prinergy. Prinergy is great if you have clean files, editing trap sucks (slow and cumbersome) compared to Rampage. It should be an easy switch if you can I would keep both running.

Herbie,

Since you have both systems. Which one do you like the best and why.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages

Prinergy is fast and can easily be automated but is somewhat unreliable. In the two days we have had 2 jobs that we could proof (laser and monitor/VPS) in Prinergy but we could not plate due to a currently "unknown" problem that we are looking into. We took the job into Rampage and had no problems. We have had other problems; what we see on the proof is not what we get on the plate (this is unacceptable in my opinion). We have contacted Kodak when these occur and usually end up sending files off to them for review.

Rampage has their own share of problems as well, currently when we make a monitor proof sometimes we can open it other times we can't. For the most part they are more responsive to bug fixes.

My preference is Rampage just because what we see on the proof is what we get on the plate, there is no guessing. If Kodak could fix that problem I would have to re-think my stance. If you have savvy customers that can give you PERFECT files then Prinergy is great if not well then you either need to take on training them, fix their files or use another rip (at least in my experience)

Very Interesting! What version are you running? And is it not Evo? I've been on Evo for the last week and overall I am very happy with it. Much faster then Rampage and very flexible. Are you rendering PDFs from customers or are you making the PDFs yourself? From what program? (Quark Sucks!) And at what res are you making your VPS's? Any examples of what is different on the plates? I'd like to know what to look out for . . .

Version 3.1.0.6 we make our own and use customer supplied PDF's we try to say away from quark. The job has to qualify to go into the Prinergy workflow. (Currently I don't know what all of qualifications are) VPS res is at 300, 600 and 2400 depending on copy and what needs to be checked. Some of the things we have seen on the VPS but not on the plates is that copy will just drop out or images will disappear. This has been better since the last upgrade but I am still a bit gun shy.

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I can talk them into using both systems. Are your systems linked to the same server or do you have the Rampage Side/Prinergy Side?

Frank

Rampage to prinergy

Rampage to prinergy

I have worked with Prinergy for a year, prior to that I worked with rampage for 9 or so years. I find that Pinergy is cumbersom to work with, it's interface with preps is a pain in the a$$. Versoning large complex jobs is not what it should be, or what its was sold as.
If you have Rampage already and wish to upgrade, do yourself a favor and purchase the
Rampage upgrade, switching to Prinergy may not be the answer. I think prinergy is fine for small jobs of medium complexity, anything more than that and it's a headache.... who needs another headache.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back