Prinergy EVO JobData Volume acting funny (not haha funny)

gig0

Is it me or does the Prinergy EVO JobData (SMB)volume seem to flake out a little bit with the OS X client? This is only a 2 week old system here...

Sometimes, newly refined pages or .vps's don't show up right away after being processed unless you unmount the jobdata volume or drop a random file in the folder in order to force the refresh. I know there was (or still is?) an issue with OS X a while back where it polls network resources only at certain intervals and wouldn't refresh mounted drives unless forced into it.

I'm hoping this isn't a standard feature... or another module we'll have to pay extra for from Kodak in order to eliminate this problem.

Re: Prinergy EVO JobData Volume acting funny (not haha funny)

I am a 6 months user of Prinergy, and I am suffering from the same issue, hope to have a solution for this.

Can you switch over to AFP? We are currently running a Windows 2003 server and connect to it over AFP with little or no problems.

I do have plans to switch over to an xserve in the very near future though. Windows annoys me.

This is fixed in 10.5, but if you have 10.4 or earlier, try this little utility called Finder Refresh. Or, you can create a new folder (empty) which forces the update to see the stuff there. If you are on a PC, hit F5 and voila. Refreshed.

http://www.shasam.net/archives/35

Hope this helps.
Allan Larson

This very simple applescript works for me.

try
tell application "Finder" to update items of front window
end try

Saved as an application, it can be loaded into the scripts menu item and run from there.
-Dan

> {quote:title=RiotMac wrote:}{quote}
> Can you switch over to AFP? We are currently running a Windows 2003 server and connect to it over AFP with little or no problems.

Tried AFP with no luck. Not only did it do the same thing, there were filename character limits. Seriously.... I'm done with that business.... I've been fighting those naming limitations on the Brisque for years and am so over it now. It's 2007, not 1996.

I'm curious though, how do you plan on implementing xserve into the workflow? It will manage the jobdata share instead of clients directly connecting to it via SMB through the Windows server? I didn't know it could be managed that way. That opens up new doors.

thanks Allan,

I tried it at the end of the day and didn't work at one point but worked after a little while. I don't know. I didn't have enough time to really try it out today. I did update the Win2k server with a time server and it was one minute off so I don't know if that played a part or not. I'll find out next week, but thanks for the app.

> {quote:[email protected] wrote:}{quote}
> This very simple applescript works for me.
>
> try
> tell application "Finder" to update items of front window
> end try
>
> Saved as an application, it can be loaded into the scripts menu item and run from there.
> -Dan

Another nice suggestion.

I'll give it a try if all else fails. Only because I'm not well versed in Applescripting but am willing to fumble my way through it to accomplish this goal. Thanks Dan. Much appreciated! At least I know I'm not the only one!

Edited by: gig0 on Nov 21, 2007 7:51 PM

We have an X-serve and no problems as you mentioned. Good luck with it!

I think updating the time server on the Win2K box helped resolve the situation. Haven't heard complaints from the other guys today. So if you're in the same situation, make sure your clocks are accurate by refreshing with the time server (and the clients as well).

EDIT: Erm, or maybe not. Theres still a few issues and the the night crew had something to say about it today. Ugh! It seemed like it was working better....guess not. :(

Edited by: gig0 on Nov 27, 2007 6:57 PM

Same here, gig0, although it's not always a problem. I've had the same issue with an HP Indigo shared server, sometimes entire folders won't show up. I tried the Finder Refresh app too, with no luck. My workaround, instead of un-mounting the volume, is to copy a folder with the same name as the target into the parent directory.

So, let's say you can't see a folder called "Postscript" on the target, but you know there are files in there. Drag a copy of an empty folder titled exactly the same to the server, it will ask if you want to replace, and of course you say No. The Parent folder will (hopefully) update & you can see your files. I know, it's basically forcing a refresh the same as the aforementioned app is supposed to do, but that seems to work 100% of the time here.

The Xserve will contain the job volume. You will connect to it over AFP or SMB if you want. AFP character limitations is not an issue on the mac. Windows puts a limitation on its Mac shares.

Many people use Xserves to store their job data.

Just create a new folder (Command+Shift+N) and it causes a refresh. Annoying all the same.....

> {quote:title=TBjammin wrote:}{quote}
> Just create a new folder (Command+Shift+N) and it causes a refresh. Annoying all the same.....

Yeah, that's pretty much the where we're at.

I still find it hard to understand how such a ubiquitous issue on the Mac end gets past beta testing...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back