Raster Blaster

dkinsac

Anybody using Raster Blaster? Is there any settings for plate curves? We are using Evo with no calibration curve but on plates there is up to a 7 percent reduction on the patches. Why? I need help! Thanks!

Re: Raster Blaster

Danny,

A couple things to look at. Ask your plate supplier what the 50% should read when the exposure is set up properly? Depending on plate it could be 50% or it could be 43% or whatever they recommend.

Once you establish you exposure is correct, which it may be, you then need to establish a process calibration curve. I do not know what this is called on EVO. Output a set of plates with a test scale, 2%, 5%, 10%,20,%, 30%, etc up the scale. Make all four colors separately so you can read each and also have CMY so you can see gray balance. You may have a test form you can use from Kodak or GATF offers some or you can make your own.

Have this printed paying particular attention it is printed with the proper end density for your house standard. Once this is done and you read it, you will either have the dot gain you desire or you will not. The way you are setup now with no curve, the odds are you will not.If not, then you will need to program it in EVO, the curve has to be generated in the rip, not the shooter. Output again and print again. You may be OK or you may need to tweak. hope this helps, if not, I would recommend you get your plate supplier/manufacturer along with CtP and workflow vendors on site to help. Hopefully it is one vendor, one phone call.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

The whole idea of Raster Blaster and other TIFF catching systems As I undertand is to just image the incoming screened TIFF files "as is" for data security. The whole idea is the system is calibrated in your EVO,Prinect, (place your brand RIP here) like any other device attached to it.

On a side note raster blaster and platesetter TIFF catchters in general use 1BIT data which mean its screened and as such any pixel is either 0 or 100% image and hence impossible calibrate with compensation curves

RH,

I agree, the RIP, be it EVO, MetaDimension, or any, have to create the calibration curves when generating the 1 bit tiffs to a hot folder on the shooter. The Raster Blaster controls the output queue and passes the 1 bit tiff to the output device.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Prioduct Manger, Ctp & Proofing

I agree with y'all. I called Kodak and we checked the settings in Evo and no curves are being applied. So to narrow it down I posted this question. We still have Rampage in the mix, and if we send a plate from Rampage it's all good. I don't recall ever building any curves in Rampage but I guess I'd better check that out. I Love Prepress! I hope I can do this until I'm 99 years old! . . . just kidding!

Raster Blaster

Question can raster blaster work with prinergy as a front end?
I have print console with a creo trendsetter 800 but just added a screen 8800E which
I was told only works with raster blaster.

Question can raster blaster work with prinergy as a front end?
I have print console with a creo trendsetter 800 but just added a screen 8800E which
I was told only works with raster blaster.

Shouldn't be an issue, it's just a TIFF shooter. You have to set up your RIP front end to deliver a TIFF to the RasterBlaster, and then it sends the plate info on to the platesetter. I wasn't aware that the Screen 8800 ONLY works with a RasterBlaster, I would imagine any TIFF shooter would work, so long as the correct boards and cables are installed on the TIFF shooter. But, it IS a good TIFF shooter, it's the one I would want to use.

George

Hi,

To my knowledge you can buy a tiff shooter directly from Screen. I got a quote on it sometime last year because I'm not a fan of the Raster Blaster's GUI - suffice it to say, I could not justify the cost.

The product is called Trueflow DTC.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back