Ink readings in a PDF

Bster

Total ink coverage in Acrobat Professional will tell you when you reach a certain threshold...like 280% has been exceeded and it flags those areas. I am looking for a solution for my estimator to be able to tell how much ink for each colour will be printed on each page. My apogee system tells me through the renderer but I want to provide this info up front and would like to be able to do it through Acrobat professional but have yet to figure out how...Please help.

Thanks,
Brett

Personally, I think that estimating ink is a problem from a quote/MIS perspective as one often quotes before one receives the files! AFAIK most set a nominal value that will help cover costs and that will not blow out the quote so that it is rejected. It is a balancing act and not a science. Even if you have the files up-front and can make such an evaluation for the estimate, I personally would not bother trying to be too scientific about the process.

If you can capture this data in production from orders, then over time your estimators can build better profiles to take this into account when creating quotes/estimates.

P.S. Can you copy/paste or provide a screen capture of the data that your Apogee Workflow provides on ink coverage/use?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Personally, I think that estimating ink is a problem from a quote/MIS perspective as one often quotes before one receives the files! AFAIK most set a nominal value that will help cover costs and that will not blow out the quote so that it is rejected. It is a balancing act and not a science. Even if you have the files up-front and can make such an evaluation for the estimate, I personally would not bother trying to be too scientific about the process.

If you can capture this data in production from orders, then over time your estimators can build better profiles to take this into account when creating quotes/estimates.

P.S. Can you copy/paste or provide a screen capture of the data that your Apogee Workflow provides on ink coverage/use?

Stephen Marsh

I could send you a screen capture if you can pass me an email address somehow...

You can attach the screen capture to your forum posts, or send me a private message through the website controls and we will work something out.

I would like to see what other advice you receive and suggestions for software etc.

Stephen Marsh

callas pdfToolbox (as a standalone program or plugin) has a "visualizer" report that I believe will show you the total percentage of coverage for the sheet for each colorant. If you can send me a PDF where you already have a report from Apogee I am happy to take a quick look. Otherwise you need something like PressPercent for reporting.

For ink reporting, you can use our solution, InkReady. If you want to test it, we can send you a complete trial license.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
www. imposition. com

can i also get a trial license? thanks

For ink reporting, you can use our solution, InkReady. If you want to test it, we can send you a complete trial license.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
www. imposition. com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back