Does anyone use Quark anymore?

You know . . . I keep hearing about the continuing charges from adobe . . . pretty much everybody else does it in one way or another . . . admittedly you generally only buy one or two hammers in your life . . but your offset presses have continuing costs, ie rollers, blankets, and other non specific job related costs, power charges, water bills, etc. - to me 600 bucks a year for what you get isn't all that bad . . . and if you just need one app, for example, Acrobat DC . . . a years subscription is 15.99 . . . . I'll bet most of you spend more than that at Starbucks every month . . .

just sayin

Yes, but it is a trend that is catching Microsoft office is subscription... has a one time buy option for now, but I would think that will go soon. Other software like Enfocus has subscription options, again has both options for now. If everyone starts going this route you now have a higher monthly bill. Some might like the subscription model, I have no issue with it when I have a choice. Before I could buy Adobe CS or go the subscription, I had the choice. Now no choice and no mater how many years you are doing the subscription, when you stop, you have nothing. No year or 2 year old versions, you have zero.

I want choice and options when buying software. Adobe is the standard, they know they have you.

Choice, or lack there of, is the problem I have with Adobe. Love Illustrator but need Photoshop and InDesign too and then you're talking fifty bucks a month. So that has me considering Coreldraw - it can do vectors, page layout, AND photo editing for less than fifty bucks a month OR I can buy it for five hundred. In fact, the subscription option is a yearly payment of like, $200. Which I think is cheap and not having a monthly ding to your account is kinda nice. I'm by no means a power user so I'm sure it will do way more than what I need or am even capable of doing.

Keith 90% of what I do is a lousy fit for Adobe products, add that to the fact that CorelDRAWs interface is designed around industry specific productivity and how easily you get used to working how Corel thinks it becomes a no brainer.

wonderings, currently Adobe is offering 40% off their products why? Well sales are not what they want and once you dumb enough to sign on what do you do? Now if you don't pay up you have files you can't use! WTF!

SnoopDoug CorelDRAW users learned years ago not to send native files to standard print shops, only to Corel dedicated shops. Print shops are in general so stuck in their ways sending a CorelDraw file is asking for problems, send a press ready flattened PDF. Due to a lack of profit margin I don't do a lot of press printing anymore but I send out hundreds of CorelDraw created PDF files, never a problem. Let's face it I'm an owner not an hourly or salaried employee, I go where the margins lead.

Last edited:
Keith 90% of what I do is a lousy fit for Adobe products, add that to the fact that CorelDRAWs interface is designed around industry specific productivity and how easily you get used to working how Corel thinks it becomes a no brainer.

David if Corel is a better fit for YOUR business use it . . . But if I think Adobe products are a better fit for mine don't tell me I'm stupid - I haven't said anything demeaning about Corel . . . so why can't you act the same way??? Last time I checked you are not the Almighty Know It All you think you are

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back