Auraia screening

Gianni_S

Hi Forumers,
I have a question: Anybody of you know Auraia screening?
Have you tested or implemented it?
I would like to have some feedback about it.
Thanks a lot!

G:

Hi Gordo,
thanks for you reply!
What I like to know is:
- the result looks fantastic as they promise?
- there are some limitations due to the substrate(coated or uncoated for example)?
- calibration of ctp/plate/presses is more difficult than standard screening (I'm thinking about dot gain curve)?
- how it behave during press run?
- the make ready changes and how (time, ink density, make ready sheets, registration)?
- on the RIP need more time to process?
- Frankly speaking is a solution that worth to buy?

We are considering it, but before to contact a sale man and begin all the path from demo to purchase, I like to know what some other user says about it.

Thanks a lot again!

Hi Gordo,
thanks for you reply!
What I like to know is:
- the result looks fantastic as they promise?

I don't know what "they" promise but what I've seen is certainly better in terms of smoothness and ink savings compared with other FM/XM screens. It also works brilliantly in situations, like violet CtP, where other vendors say that it's not possible to do this kind of work.

- there are some limitations due to the substrate(coated or uncoated for example)?

Not that I've seen. I have a very happy printer that's been using Auraia DM on coldset newspaper for about four years - and loves it.

- calibration of ctp/plate/presses is more difficult than standard screening (I'm thinking about dot gain curve)?

No.

- how it behave during press run?

It's more forgiving of solid ink density variations. I.e. color won't shift much. I've not seen any issues.

- the make ready changes and how (time, ink density, make ready sheets, registration)?

Makeready times are faster with less wastage (fewer make ready sheets) than with AM/XM screening. If misregistration occurs, then, like FM screening, the image degradation is less apparent than with AM/XM screening.

- on the RIP need more time to process?

No

- Frankly speaking is a solution that worth to buy?

Absolutely.

We are considering it, but before to contact a sale man and begin all the path from demo to purchase, I like to know what some other user says about it.

Thanks a lot again!

I know that one of their customers in the US prints several million pages a week with Auraia DM and has specifically told Hamillroad not to publicize that they're using it because they don't want their competition to know what they're doing. Keep in touch with whoever your sales rep is for updates on things like case studies/testimonials etc because I think the impact of this screening is going to be a major factor for printers to consider for production cost reduction and increased image fidelity. I used to be the marketing guy for Creo/Kodak Staccato which was arguably the most widely adopted FM screening in its day. And it's pretty damn good. However, Auraia, IMHO, is better.

Agree with Gordo, did some testing with Auraia in a Flexo environment a while back, it was still early days for Auraia but the results were promising and as far as I know Hamilroad has developed their Belissima screening out of this. I would love to get a few of our local printers who I think could benefit from Auraia to do some testing. But our pinters are still with the mindset: "This is the way we have always done things, why should we change?" So OP in my opinion get your sales weenie to give you a demo.

However, Auraia, IMHO, is better.

Agreed. Andy Cave is a genius. What is amazing is how things still stay smooth with minor miss registration. I worked for Agfa, we had CrystalRaster ( which was used in marketing materials for promoting Pantone Hexachrome ) but - comically, as anyone might know, kinda tough to have a moiré pattern to occur when you mostly are using only three colors for any color ( my point is you did not need FM Screening or stochastic screening for Pantone Hexachrome.

Agreed. Andy Cave is a genius. What is amazing is how things still stay smooth with minor miss registration. I worked for Agfa, we had CrystalRaster ( which was used in marketing materials for promoting Pantone Hexachrome ) but - comically, as anyone might know, kinda tough to have a moiré pattern to occur when you mostly are using only three colors for any color ( my point is you did not need FM Screening or stochastic screening for Pantone Hexachrome.

By swapping angles (Green using the Magenta and Orange the Cyan) you avoid most inter-screen moiré issues but if Black is one of the printers you can have a rosette which is just a high frequency moiré. Green and Orange are not the optimal choice for extra "process" colors so that limited Hexachrome's potential. The use of FM type screening instead of AM/XM has more to do with hue stability and creating the appearance of a solid color than moiré. BTW, the last Hexachrome swatchbook was printed with creo Staccato as it was smoother than CrystalRaster. But Hexachrome was abandoned by Pantone about 20 years ago - you were probably still in grade school - so it's a mute issue. ;-)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back