Onyx RIPs and Mac?

wonderings

We will be buying a wide format eco solvent printer soon. Still comparing Mutoh to Epson in this category. Both come with an Onyx RIP. I cannot find anything about Mac support on their website and assuming it is Windows only.

I will originally planning on bringing in my MacBook Pro to use for the RIP as I rarely use it and want to get a MacBook because of the size and portability of it. I can install Windows on my MacBook Pro if I had to but just hate that thought for some reason lol

So I guess two questions, one is Onyx supporting Mac with a RIP? If not and I am assuming not has anyone run Onyx RIPs in a virtual machine on a Mac? or would I need to install Windows via basecamp and run it natively?

Why not get the Caldera RIP? You can run it on a Mac. Ask your dealer about the Caldera RIP instead.

Have no idea about any of these rips. Onyx is the one they bundle with their wide formats and what they support. Will have to ask them about it. Never had an eco solvent printer before or cutter so all new to me.

My dealer said the Onyx can be installed on both Mac and PC but every single thing I see online only shows it running on Windows and cannot find anything about it on the Onyx website. Will keep my fingers crossed that he is correct.

Have no idea about any of these rips. Onyx is the one they bundle with their wide formats and what they support. Will have to ask them about it. Never had an eco solvent printer before or cutter so all new to me.

My dealer said the Onyx can be installed on both Mac and PC but every single thing I see online only shows it running on Windows and cannot find anything about it on the Onyx website. Will keep my fingers crossed that he is correct.

In the words of our long lost brethren David Millisock, your print shop is already doomed and will die soon because you use Macs. Idk why that came to mind, but thought those of us that were around for his PC vs Mac opinions would get a kick of it.

AP . . . I sometimes wistfully recall those discussions . . . . where oh where did David go?

In the words of our long lost brethren David Millisock, your print shop is already doomed and will die soon because you use Macs. Idk why that came to mind, but thought those of us that were around for his PC vs Mac opinions would get a kick of it.

Of course, we are slowly dying here, all the headaches of not having to maintaining PC's with buggy versions of Windows with their security flaws and all out wackiness with updates have left me pulling my hair out having nothing to do IT wise save for do my job in prepress! The horror! It is too quiet having 99% Macs in our building and never needing to do anything because they just keep working!

In seriousness though I do not mind Windows, I think Windows 10 is a good OS but for production and work I will take Mac OS any day of the week as my preference for being productive with the tools available out of the box with an OS.

I did send my supplier an email and ask about caldera to see if it was an option as I am 99% sure Macs are not support by Onyx.

Are you wedded to this supplier? If not I am sure there are some out there that sell and support Caldera.

They are one of the big guys here that we deal with for paper and other things. We do have a good relationship with them and their support has been good, plus they are around the corner which always helps. Nothing is set in stone and I have asked them about the RIP so will wait to hear back.

I've never used Caldera, but we do have a Mutoh printer and plotter with Onyx, as well as PC based EFI for our Epson, and 2 PC based RIPs for our film setters. We also use Macs for all our production. We have no issues with integrating the Onyx into our workflow. For my 2 cents, I would bite the bullet and get a Windoze machine for the RIP. Set it up and leave it alone. Then you wont have to worry about setting it up just to print a job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back