printing specs form

Dario

(sorry I don't know where to post this!)

A client is asking in his printing specs form about "White opacity (target ≥60%)" and I feel to answer "what?"

Do you know what is he talking about?

(sorry I don't know where to post this!)

A client is asking in his printing specs form about "White opacity (target ≥60%)" and I feel to answer "what?"

Do you know what is he talking about?

Is he going to be printing on a clear substrate with a white underprint?

Is he going to be printing on a clear substrate with a white underprint?

Since it's a 'standard' form - I mean: he's asking also about 'printing system' - it's unclear to me if it refers to something more specific.
I'm printing offset.
Could it be about flexo?

Yes, he's most likely asking about flexography. The opacity of the white ink in such technologies should be at least 60%. There's a standard method of measuring the opacity, using a spectrophotometer and a special white and black sheet.

Yes, he's most likely asking about flexography. The opacity of the white ink in such technologies should be at least 60%. There's a standard method of measuring the opacity, using a spectrophotometer and a special white and black sheet.

Thank you Wiener!!
;)
Enough for me.

Since it's a 'standard' form - I mean: he's asking also about 'printing system' - it's unclear to me if it refers to something more specific.
I'm printing offset.
Could it be about flexo?

This can apply to offset, digital or flexo.

All tree printing technologies allow you to print on clear or metallized substrates, among other finishes. Window clings are an example of wanting to have a white down before or after (depending on whether is is applied inside or outside) printing 4CP.
One time we used opaque white on our Indigo to print on duplex stock that had real cherry wood veneer on one side.

Hello there,
I'm still filling forms about things I don't understand!
My English is bad enough to not let me understand some tech phrases. Eg:

Specify min dot & growth of c/m/y/k:
@3%
@25%
@50%

What are they talking about?
TVI?
Dot gain?
Could someone help me??

My English is bad enough to not let me understand some tech phrases. Eg:

Hi Dario, my english is much worser than yours, but i´m quite sure with this interpretation:

Specify min dot & growth of c/m/y/k:
@3%
=guaranteed minimum printed dot (that means: 1% and 2% tone-values are not guaranteed...)
@25% =yes, increase: 25% CMY in file will be printed with 35% on paper, so you have 10% increase, may be K has an increase of 12% and will be printed with 37% on paper...
@50% =see 25%...
[/B]

if there other interpretations possible, let us know folks ;-)

Ulrich

Last edited:
Thank you Ulrich,
we are not printing Flexo - we are printing offset so I suppose the minimum printed dot is 1%. ;-)

We print at 200 LPI
@25% = 36%;
@50% = 62%.

Does it make sense?
Am I wrong?

we are not printing Flexo - we are printing offset so I suppose the minimum printed dot is 1%. ;-)

then you are a "good" one ;-)

We print at 200 LPI
@25% = 36%;
@50% = 62%.

all color equal? (FOGRA51?) I mean, maybe someone is asking for a job printed only in gray and "expect"/is preparing for still FOGRA39? (For spotcolors i work with the increase of CMY in the RIP...)

Ulrich

No, not all color equal, don't worry. That was just an example taken from our TVI Curve sets.
We prepare all jobs based on 'old' Fogra39 - knowing it doesn't take into consideration printing al 200 Lpi.

My fear is to give wrong information (since I don't know what I'm saying) and then get terrible files to print!

fear is a man´s best friend, but don´t be afraid at working ... ;-)

In doubt, just let them know the printing condition FOGRA 39, than it´s their turn to get the exact information about the increase ... ;-)
(CMY: For 25%, the ideal increase is 9,3 (34,3 % in print), K 12,1/37,1% and for 50% it is 14,3 (64,3% in print), K is 17/67% as my table says)

I mean, you just must be crazy to "guarantee" one equal exact value for CMY, but also for different as a prediction ;-)

But consider the condition, are you sure with the 1% minimum on rough uncoated paper too?

Best

Ulrich

Hello Dario,

My advice would be visit "Gordo's Blog" - I'm sure the information he provides will be of assistance.

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back