Quark PDFs - Washed out - INDD 3 not...???

Re: Quark PDFs - Washed out - INDD 3 not...???

Unless you know some magic formula John, I doubt this is true and I agree with Don that it probably still goes through PS in the background, which would flatten any transparency.
I did update Quark to 7.3.1, the latest update and even though Quark produce 1.4 PDF, it is still flattened and does not have transparency.
I can not get it to output PDF with live transparency even if I check "Ignore transparency flattening".

Would you mind sharing with us how to achieve live transparency in PDF output from Quark?

Thanks

"The poster claimed that the Quark Seven to pdf was larger than ps and distill. Of course it was because it now is capable of holding the transparency."

First off, the PDF being bigger doesn't have anything to do with transparency. FYI PDFs with transparency are naturally smaller in most cases than PDFs whose transparency has been flattened.

Futhermore, the PDFs being bigger in the poster's case could be because:
1. Quark's compression setting is set, and makes a different size PDF than Adobe would make.
2. Quark is set to e.g. no compression, and Adobe Distiller takes this huge PostScript and keeps as no compression because 'Allow PostScript file to override Adobe PDF Settings' is checked in his Distiller's joboptions. (The way I recommend and do it) I don't let Quark use compression when making the PostScript, and want Adobe to do this task instead, so I uncheck 'Allow PostScript file to override Adobe PDF Settings' is checked in Distiller's joboptions, so that Adobe Distiller will use the same compression as it normally does with PDF/X-1a, and so then I can get a PDF the same size and quality as Adobe would make it (because Adobe is making it).

I'm installing Quark 7.3.1 to see if I can actually output PDF 1.4 with transparency. Not expecting it to, but I may be surprised (shocked).

Don

See the new dialogue boxes in the print menu. Under Transparency, I see a check box that states: Ignore Transparency Flattening

It also discusses transparency rendering options including upsampling rotations.

The settings can be captured as a print style of course and jdf can now even be enabled.

Although I have only just loaded Q7.31 myself, I am going on the instruction from my course; my teacher is a hands on prepress genius and has never been incorrect about his info, even after the ten years that I have known him and learned from him.

Most significant from my course was the fact that software is changing daily, weekly, and monthly. New apps and plugins and workaround automations are occurring absolutely even as I write this post. It has literally blown me up and made me change my miopic thinking plus it has excited me all over again. I told you guys that weeks ago!

Merry testing,

John W

Read my reply to Don. I apologize that I have not yet had time to do the testing but I am sure that it is possible to hold the transparency. If and when I learn more or figure it out, I'll gladly post it. So should you or anyone else FTM.
It makes no sense of Quark to make a bogus solution and after their previous public shaming. If my teacher says it works, it works. Keep testing or even ask Quark!
Plus, if I get you to use Quark again, perhaps that's good. Indesign slays me whenever I have to make multiple changes; I'm way faster using Quark in that case. OTOH, Ind has saved my ass a few times when it works with my ancient HqRip while Quark and my old Rip struggled.
In reality, we prepressers must be competent with all apps and all extras. That's is why we need pay approaching a doctor's because we handle about as much vagarity and change as they!

John

Just my 2¢ on this issue. Quark decided to add transparency in version without even thinking about how to export or print it.
I beta tested version 7 and that was one of the things I tested exclusively. I could use transparent objects and everything looked great on screen but could never get output to match what I saw on screen, I suggested that Quark either buy from Adobe the right to use their export and print options for PDF or to use the latest JAWS engine ( that does support PDF v1.4).
They did neither. Now since I washed my hand with Quark, I have no idea if they finally got the message and did as I suggested or not.

Something you may not be aware of in the newer version of Quark, is the option to emulate legacy color. In Quark under preferences - color management there is an option to emulate legacy color which often resolves color issues. If the color was better in an earlier version of Quark than this will be the way to go. You can also try turning on "ignore Transperancy flattener" under transperancy when printing out the postscript.

I find printing out a post script is much better than PDF from Quark.

Quark for some reason decided to use different color databases than everyone else and probably the reason why you may be seeing some changes. Quark has a great chat forum for issues such as this and I use it often as there is always someone else who has had the same problem somewhere along the line. Here's a link: http://www.quark.com/service/forums/

Hopefully this helps and doesn't lead you down the wrong path.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back