Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do ya'all (you all) receive PDF proof approvals ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do ya'all (you all) receive PDF proof approvals ...

I want to find an easy to use (preferably electronic) solution to receiving approvals of PDF proofs from clients. Right now all we do is request through an e-mail to +"... reply with 'OK to Print' or ...".+

Even though I request - WITH QUOTES - a response of 'OK to Print', I receive responses like +"Looks good to me!"+ or +"Go with it!"+, none of which I would consider a 'legal' OK to print.

I was playing around with editable forms in Acrobat for an emailable PPA/Change Order, but from what I've learned (correct me if I am wrong), the client needs the professional version of Acrobat to enter/edit text in an Acrobat form. Is there a plug-in for Acrobat Reader (since many people don't want to BUY Acrobat 'Professional') which allows this? Even better, would there be a _FREE_ plugin that does this?

Then I was thinking, +"hey, how about something using HTML"+ ... but then there are platform/version issues and I really do not want to learn HTML programming in any real intricacy - bit by bit - command by command.

Then I was playing with writing code myself (using *(AARRRGGHHH)* Basic), and creating a cross-platform application to email ... yadda yadda yadda ... again, getting far too complex.

I don't want to send clients a PDF of our PPA/Change Order and then have them print it out, sign it then fax it back ... that's just far too 'clunky' ... this is the 'new millennium', right? What is a 'fax' anyway (kidding)?

What do you/how do you people RECEIVE approvals/changes for PDF proofs that were sent electronically (email/ftp). Does anyone use a digital method?

Let me hear (read) your ideas, suggestion, witticisms, criticisms ... peccadillos(?)

Re: How do ya'all (you all) receive PDF proof approvals ...

If you have Acrobat Professional 8, then you can make a PDF form that
    the user (running only Reader) can fill in and save with their OK.

If you have Acrobat Professional 7 or 8, then you can make a PDF that
    the user can ADD A POST-IT NOTE to that will declare their agreement to
    print.

However, I am curious how you (and others) deal with the sending proofs
    to customers who only have Reader - when Reader defaults to Overprint
    Preview _OFF_?

Leonard

Comment

Well, it's been my experience that A LOT of these people don't even realize they are looking at it WITHOUT overprint preview. I actually have to answer more questions from people that use Acrobat Professional than those who use just reader. I, just yesterday, had to create a document with illustrations showing a client how to use the 'output preview' option in Acrobat (Professional). So actually ... the 'overprint preview' questions occur only occasionally, or rarely.

I am trying to create a PPA (Proof/Print Authorization) with a series of buttons, boxes etc., fill-in forms fro correction instructions, and possibly some kind of electronic signature for signing off PDF final proofs.

Thanks for the info ... gonna look into it.

Comment

My only response is - unless you are getting hit with rejected work - email sounds the best way - leave it alone and get out more :-)

Peter

Comment

Along the lines of overprint preview - we tell ALL customers to get free Reader if they do not have it.
          We do not support anything less than 7.
          I then have an email that explains how to set Acrobat Reader up (preferences) for overprint preview.
          We send around 200 pdfs for review a day. Thank God for Trueflow and PowerSwitch

Comment

Leonard,

Now that you work for Adobe, can you do us all a favor and sneak into the room where they write Acrobat/Reader and comment out the code that lets you turn Overprint Preview off and change the default so its always on?

We won't tell.

Thanks,
            Rob Morgan
            Kodak

Comment

Would you like to upload those PDF file to a web-based application where your customers can view, comment, markup, and reject or approval the file on their own computers through any web-browser ? In addition all of the comments, markups, approvals etc. are tracked and saved in a database? You may want to take a look at EskoArtworks WebCenter or Webway. http://www.esko.com/web/site.aspx?p=354.

Regards - peter
              "you never know how the past is going to turn out"

Comment

The "problem" appears at least on a weekly basis for me.
                Life would be easier without it but my bigger problem is how to make clients upgrade to something higher than Acrobat reader 3 or 4.
                Believe it or not, most of them have reader installed some time ago and nobody is touching it.
                Adobe should somehow force Reader update.

Comment

Easy.
                  Send your PDF's out as version 1.6 which earlier versions of Acrobat Reader will not open ( they will get a message on their PC about that ). Include in your email a link to Adobe's site and the Acrobat Reader download. Done Deal.

peter

Comment

If only it were that easy as to include a link of the installer for a new reader. We've done that and still we get clients on the phone telling us the pdf file can't open because it's 'damaged'. We remake a pdf and resend it to them only to get the same call from them. After some questions turns out they still run Reader 4 or older. Step by step phone guidance to install the new version of reader result in a suprising ahhhh on the other side of the line. Only to get that same client on the phone with the same question next time we send him something :-)

In result we're looking into online proofing systems to get this problem out of the way.

Comment

Zoran, Peter, it's funny you should mention that (about Acrobat versions and updating)...

I just received an email that the client cannot open the PDF file I sent yesterday. His business partner can on her machine, but he cannot. He is the ONLY one that has reported 'I cannot read the PDF file you sent me.' I suspect he is using an OLD version of Acrobat Reader ... waiting to find out. I've done everything I can at this end ... saving it down (to version 4 is as low as I can go from here) ... making it low rez ... I don't know what else to do.

(Now that I think of it ... I do suspect that he is using an OLDer version because the file that I was given to work with was an OLDer version of 'Word' (aaaarrrghhh))

If I get a message back that he is STILL using version 3 (he's on a Mac, and so are we) ... I may take the rest of the day off ... Happy Holidays for me, me, me

Comment

He's have to be running on something like Mac System 7 or something to
                        be able to run Acrobat 3.

Acrobat 4 was the first PowerPC version.

Acrobat 5.0.5 was the first one to run on Mac OS X, and Acrobat 6
                        requires it. So if he's on OS X, then you know he's at least 6.

Leonard

Comment

Then again, I invite you to look into our online viewing and approval solutions WebCenter and Webway. With WebCenter we offer some options as far as the actual hosting of the sites - either you can do it locally on your servers, or EskoArtworks can lease space on theirs. http://www.esko.com/web/site.aspx?p=685/ With WebCenter your customers can securely login to a customized website, view and annotate their files, view separations, colour values, measure dimensions etc,. all through their web browser on Mac or PC.

peter

Comment

We are putting PDF on our web server and sending only a link in email with "Online Proof Terms and Conditions" where person is instructed to reply on this email with acceptance of these terms and pdf provided.

For "pdf-link" email creating we are using YGF tool which available almost for free at
                            http://www.youvegotfiles.com

This tool provides a file's date, time and size which is included in email.
                            PDFs are Lo-Res and archived from website after month or so along with client's OK-emails.

All those Acrobat's issues are SRs' responsibility

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
                            UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5068 users online. 110 members and 4958 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
                            X