Chairs For Prepress

prepressguru

Hey Gang

Need to find some decent chairs for prepress. The one's we have are not great for lower back.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

p

I've been trying to get this one so the salespeople will leave me alone.....

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 192
Herman Miller chairs are really good, I was lucky enough to get one in an liquidation of a law office a few years back. Of course they cost a bomb but they are a damn fine chair.

Seating - Products - Herman Miller

Jackie

P.S. I like Oxburger's chair but the sales people are frightened enough of me already . . .

you guys have chairs?!?!?!?

Well we have chairs too Mark - it really isn't that uncommon. What shocked me was that these people are allowed to sit in them! They must have been very staunch negotiators when they were hired. :p

We have the Aeron by Herman Miller chairs here, they are the best. We got a 12 year warranty that expires in two years. Got two sizes, large and medium, 29 in all. Everybody that comes here wants to take them to their office.

After much negotiating i was allowed to bring in a cinder block to sit on every other tuesday.

We had a doctor in who was assisting and checking up on one guy from Long Term disability and I gave doc a tour and explain what we do and hwo we do it and I asked him what would be the best type of chair for prepress.
His response, based on his observation was to get barstool type of chair.
I think it makes sense and I would like to do something like that, problem is nobody wants to loose their comfort for something they are not sure it will work, that and getting higher-ups to invest in new stools and tables.

After much negotiating i was allowed to bring in a cinder block to sit on every other tuesday.

This is going on my wall of truth in the quotes section.

We have the Aeron by Herman Miller chairs here, they are the best. We got a 12 year warranty that expires in two years. Got two sizes, large and medium, 29 in all. Everybody that comes here wants to take them to their office.

David, can I ask about how much you guys paid per chair? From how you describe them they sound like a solid comfortable chair. Any chair that has a name must be pretty good. I'm also asking this to try to get back on topic.

When I was an apprentice planner (stripper) they used to kick the stool (bit like a bar stool) I used to have, out from under me if I sat on it when I was working at the light table, bastards. I got my own back when they they went home by pouring water on their foam topped stools there fore wet arses in the morning.

A

This is going on my wall of truth in the quotes section.

David, can I ask about how much you guys paid per chair? From how you describe them they sound like a solid comfortable chair. Any chair that has a name must be pretty good. I'm also asking this to try to get back on topic.

We got them about ten years ago from a warehouse in California. One of our salesmen had a friend...

I think we got them for about 800 US apiece, which I think at the time was almost half price. They're not cheep, but they are rated for 24 hour usage, have adjustable lumbar support, adjustable arms (up and down as well as left and right), all with a mesh seat and back for cool comfort.

It's almost enjoyable to "work" in these.

I wouldn't worry about chairs, a few more automated and push-button solutions and monkeys will be doing prepress. We'll be cleaning up the poo they fling, and delivering bananas!!

Regards,
Todd

We had a doctor in who was assisting and checking up on one guy from Long Term disability and I gave doc a tour and explain what we do and hwo we do it and I asked him what would be the best type of chair for prepress.
His response, based on his observation was to get barstool type of chair.
I think it makes sense and I would like to do something like that, problem is nobody wants to loose their comfort for something they are not sure it will work, that and getting higher-ups to invest in new stools and tables.

Zoran,

I have been using a Steelcase Flex (artist's) Stool for the last couple of years. It replaced a Herman Miller stool I had been using for the first nine years of my employment. On my tenth anniversary, I got to choose a new stool.

I had been using a regular office chair for layout and prepress tasks, and always had back and neck pains. Once I got higher above my desk, many of my pain issues went away. I still have residual pains from injuries from a road accident 18 years ago, but those will never be fixed by a piece of furniture...

Just my experience, your results may vary...

George

We got them about ten years ago from a warehouse in California. One of our salesmen had a friend...

I think we got them for about 800 US apiece, which I think at the time was almost half price. They're not cheep, but they are rated for 24 hour usage, have adjustable lumbar support, adjustable arms (up and down as well as left and right), all with a mesh seat and back for cool comfort.

It's almost enjoyable to "work" in these.

The Aeron chair is great, my wife's office uses them, I like them slightly better than my own Steelcase Flex Artist Stool. But since I live in Steelcase's hometown, I thought I should help out the home team. The Flex series is on a similar level of comfort, but I like the back support better on the Aeron.

Either chair would be an excellent choice for your office. You should be able to Google "Aeron" and get a list of sellers, both new and used.

George

geozinger,
Steelcase and Herman Miller, practically the same hometown. You should of opted for the Areon.... :)

I live exactly 1/2 mile from the Steelcase World Headquarters in Grand Rapids, Michigan. At a previous job, they were a big client. Two of their other assembly plants are within 4 miles of the house. Several friends and neighbors work at the assembly plants. On the other hand, Herman Miller is about 20 miles away, in Zeeland, Michigan. As you can see, I have many more ties with Steelcase.

And, either chair would be great. The seat cushion on the Leap is better than the cushion on the Aeron, but the back support is slightly better on the Aeron vs. Leap.

They're virtually equal to each other, IMO.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back