Film has too Low Density

Scott in CA

I developing film output from an Agfa Accuset 800, in a Glunz & Jensen Mulitline 15 processor and my film density is too low. I have the exposure set as high as possible on the imagesetter (255).
I've addressed all the possible causes in the processor's manual:
- exhausted developer - mixed a fresh batch
- developer too cold - increased temp of developer
- developer time is too short - increased time
- replenishment insufficient - increased values

We normally mix the developer in a 1:2 ratio. Would increasing the ratio yield more dense film?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: Film has too Low Density

Ok so what is remaining that you have not tested for...?
bad film, bad imaging device

try exposing 2 rectangles, one black, the other white with a 50% border, this should tell you if the film is OK, preferably this should be done manually, to remove the imagesetter from the equation, if you don't have a camera then you'll have to use old-fashioned masking and daylight. the 50% screen is more for reference and can be left off for a manual test

if the film processes fine, no dust or pinholes in the solids, then you know the film is OK.
once you know the film is OK, then you can run a greyscale/density test on your imagesetter.

A couple of questions for you.

1. What is the density you are trying to get to?
2. What is the film manufacturer?
- Is it a matte tilm?
- Is it .040 or .070?

We still use an Accuset 1000 with all the filters turned off (full blast like yourself) in order to get to a density of 4.6 - 4.8. What made the difference for us (besides keeping on top of your chemistry) was the manufacturer of the film itself. You may also just have a laser that is on it's last legs.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately I do not have a camera. I'm not sure what the procedure is for the "old-fashioned" way of masking and daylight you mentioned, but I can tell you the end of the film that is exposed from the imagesetter's take-up cassette is totally dense, and is the density I'd like to achieve. Other than that the film looks OK.

Flexo,

1. The density reading I'm getting is 2.089, and the reading I get from a fully daylight exposed piece of film is 3.088. (i'm not even sure if I'm using the densitometer correctly)

2. the film manufacturer is #1 Network brand HN/VLD film. It is not matte. I assume you're asking about the thickness of the film, my calipers register it 0.035mm, so I guess that would be .040 (I don't see that information on the packaging)

Thanks,

Scott

> 1. The density reading I'm getting is 2.089, and the reading I get from a fully daylight exposed piece of film is 3.088.
> (i'm not even sure if I'm using the densitometer correctly)

Well, if you are using the densitometer correctly, a daylight exposed density of 3 is way to low. Density should be at least 3.5, and daylight exposed film should get much higher densities... way above 4.

Maybe the film you are using is to old? Is there a manufacturing date on the box?

Another possibility is the optics, if they are dirty, you are not getting maximum light or perhpas the laser is on it's last leg of life and can not provide enough energy. The film manufacture should be able to provide you what the recommended D-max should be.

Good luck,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

We had a film density problem years ago. It turned out that the filter was closed so the developer was not circulating properly.

Edited by: Mark on Jan 4, 2008 11:29 AM

Edited by: Mark on Jan 4, 2008 12:21 PM

For years before we had a densitometer my method for testing the film density was holding it up to the light and if I couldn't see through it I was good to go.

Sounds to me like you might want to try another film supplier. I've being using ViTony graphics for about 10 years now with no problems.

We have an old Accuset 1500 for an imagesetter that works like a champ. Our old Ultre 3000 rollers literally melted away. I fought that thing for a long time on registration and my Bindery trained boss just couldn't understand what was going on.

Hello Scott. It has been a while since we used a film processor. I know when we had problems with density 1 of the things we did was drain the chemistry tanks in the processor and clean them up. We would refill the developer tank manually. When refilling we started by using unmixed developer, not to fill the tank but partially, then we would pour in the mixed developer,2 to1, but use warm water to speed the process up. Once it was warmed up we started running test to check the density.

Hello Scott. It has been a while since we used a film processor. I know when we had problems with density 1 of the things we did was drain the chemistry tanks in the processor and clean them up. We would refill the developer tank manually. When refilling we started by using unmixed developer, not to fill the tank but partially, then we would pour in the mixed developer,2 to1, but use warm water to speed the process up. Once it was warmed up we started running test to check the density.

just a note about densitometers... there are several types, and there is one type designed specifically for film. So running out to the pressroom to borrow theirs is not likely to work properly if that's what you did.

The idea here is to test the film, which ever way works best for you, in a way that does not include the imaging device or the processor as a factor. if the film is bad +without+ the imaging device, the the device is not the problem, however if the film is OK

the processor speed is also a factor, but you'd need to know the film manufacturers specs for "dip-to-nip" in order to time it, the slower it is, the more time the chemistry has to act on the film, lowering your density. so you need to know that no-one changed the processor speed by accident

a dirty laser lens or underpowered or bad laser head would cause poor exposure of the film, but you would likely have noticed signs of this intermittently over time, perhaps banding, and/or laser power errors from your imager's console.

in the old days, we had darkrooms, screen tints, orange and ruby masking materials
if I had to test film I could make a mask with one rectangle exposed, another rectangle with a 50% screen tint and an unexposed section. expose it and hand process it and you have film that never saw either the processor or the camera, then you can say "yes, the film is good", or "no, the film is bad"

Usually what happens is an additive effect, where on person tweaks this, another tweaks that, next time some other thing, just trying to get by until you make the down-time to fix it, but by that time, no one remembered any of the tweaks. Eventually it reaches a point where there's only a very small margin for error and one change in your equipment throws it out of kilter.

You need to bring in your film sales reps pronto and have them bring along test equipment for chemistry and film.
If as reported film at end of roll is black i think its a chem problem
Image setter lasers don't usually get weak, they just die and turn off.

Good luck

Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing your processor speed? Didn't see that mentioned. Could've missed it though.

Monkey

Any chance that your fix is overflowing into your developer tank and contaminating it?. Somestimes if the wash tank gets clogged, it can overflow into the fix which in turn overflows into the developer tank.

Just a thought.

Probably a day late and 3 dollars short but......

Vague rule of thumb, a density of 3.5 measured Ortho on an x-rite will just about let you see a florescent bulb through it if you hold it up at arms length. Just about useless information but there it is.

Simplify it. I'm not familiar with the film type you're mentioning but I expect it's not daylight safe right? Just take a raw piece give a few seconds of sun. At that point it's got all the light needed to fully develop. Run it through the processor. If it's still pale you've ruled out the image setter. If it's dark as all get out you've just ruled out both the film and the processor. Typical problem is that just because the processor control says to to x,y and z doesn't mean it is doing that. The G&J pumps can hum away but not move any fluid. Check your pumps by disconnecting the output hose and holding it in a marked bucket. Run the pump with the manual button for one minute. What's the volume? Should probably be 1/2 liter or better. Put a thermometer in the tank, even if it's a meat thermometer. Make sure it's up to temp. You said you've re-batched the developer. Mix it according to the manufacturers directions. Unless you have a really bad contamination of fixer it should have been good for a while anyways. Time can matter. Double the time and see if there's a change. Maybe get a water test to see if something in the supply is killing the chemicals.

If the daylight exposed film is dark you'll be back at the image setter. Cleaning the optics is not recommended for the uninitiated. You can easily do more damage than good. It'd have to be really bad to give you less than 3. A dying laser is possible but the nature of the things is usually to live or die and not get weak.

These things can be vexing. High tech and vodoo all rolled into one.

We have an Avantra 44S. We frequently clean the mirror in the drum area with an alcohol wipe. This brings the D-Max right up! We usually have to bring down the laser setting about 100 points after cleaning. Our machine is going on 10 years old now. Original laser.

We also tried #1 Network film as opposed to Agfa. It was terrible! You get what you pay for...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back