Disposing of Epson Maintenance Tanks

yespress

I have an Epson 9880 printer and would like to know how others are disposing of the maintenance tanks. I found info on other Epson models as far as reusing them by replacing the pads and resetting the counter. Does anyone know where I can get a maintenance tank recycling kit for my 9880?

tank recycling

tank recycling

Good question. I thought they would include a mailing label for recycling the the old tank when they sent the new one, but apparently they don't. I still have my previous used tank sitting on a shelf. Epson (I think most inkjet manufacturers) aren't real big on recycling. Most laser printer suppliers are happy to accept old toner cartridges and drums, etc.

I was told that the ink itself isn't harmful and can be thrown out. It's the plastic container that's not good for the environment. I was able to take it apart and remove the pads inside, but I can't find the website where you can buy the replacement pads. Also, I need to find out how to reset the counter, so I can reuse the tank.

We have an Epson 9900 which is the same filter as the 4000/4800/7600/7800/9600/9800/x880. We got them through Mid States Graphics. I went to their website and tried to order them with no luck. Our consumables supplier ordered them for me through them. A package of 3 filters cost $60. If you don't have one, you'll need the chip resetter ($40) to reset the counter.

Here in the UK /Europe Epson run a cartridge / maintenance tank recycling program where they send you big blue cardboard box which you throw your empties in & when its full they come and pick it up free of charge.

Maintenance tanks for the above only cost about £25 so I can't see how its pays to reuse them yourselves by the time you have messed around ordering replacement pads & resetting the chip etc.

We have an Epson 9900 which is the same filter as the 4000/4800/7600/7800/9600/9800/x880. We got them through Mid States Graphics. I went to their website and tried to order them with no luck. Our consumables supplier ordered them for me through them. A package of 3 filters cost $60. If you don't have one, you'll need the chip resetter ($40) to reset the counter.

What buckeye said. We do the same. We order our filter sets through xpedx.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

In a pinch, jam that sucker up with Bounty paper towels ... well, not jam, roll and fold in as much as you can, and away you go.

I remember a while back seeing a kit that would attach a large dump bottle to the maintenance tank.
It was a tube, bottle and a barbed fitting. You would drill a whole into the tank near the bottom of the handle and attach the fitting, tubing and bottle.
The ink would drain into the collection bottle and when the tank read full, you would reset the chip. The ink would be dumped down the drain.

I think it was an ingenious solution rather then buying more tanks or replacing the pads.
But i cant remember where i saw it (damn!). The parts are available at home depot (except the chip resetter), it would cost maybe $10 or $20.
My plan is to do this to my 9880 one day and forgo anymore maintenance tanks.

Is there a way to reset the maintenance tank through the panel on the printer instead of buying a chip resetter? I saw a post a while back explaining how to do this, but can't remember the steps. I also don't remember if it pertained to the Epson 9880.

Re: Recycling Epson 9600 Maintenance tank

Re: Recycling Epson 9600 Maintenance tank

Hi Chief 1975,

I called Epson about recycling their maintenance tank and they said they did not have a system in place. They only offer ink cartridge recycling. Was it definitely Epson who provided this service or a local supplier?

Many thanks,

Petronella

Here in the UK /Europe Epson run a cartridge / maintenance tank recycling program where they send you big blue cardboard box which you throw your empties in & when its full they come and pick it up free of charge.

Maintenance tanks for the above only cost about £25 so I can't see how its pays to reuse them yourselves by the time you have messed around ordering replacement pads & resetting the chip etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back