Photoshop Clipping path trouble-help!

Hello!

We just recently upgraded to Tiger and CS2. I have been doing clipping paths in Photoshop, like I normally would, but when production places them into InDesign they won't read. I go to Object/Clipping Paths/Photoshop/Silo, then it does work, but looks awful on screen.

I went into Photoshop and started deleting points from the top part of my path and saved it. Then went back to InDesign and updated the image and the path worked. So, I went back to Photoshop and added points to the existing path (to see if it was the number of points) and it still worked. Then, I drug one point to the y destination of .125 (1/8" from top of image), saved it, and it didn't work. So, long story short, once my point goes above .200 it stops working.

Very strange. Has anyone had a problem with this? Is there a preference somewhere that needs to be changed?

I also tried to enlarge the canvas to allow more space between the edge of the image to the clipping path, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks in advance!
Kirsten

Re: Photoshop Clipping path trouble-help!

> I have been doing clipping paths in Photoshop, like I normally would

How is how you normally would? I am not sure about the path not working past .200, but I know a path won't show up in InDesign if it was not made a clipping path in Photoshop. I make the path, save the path and then choose clipping path. After that I then save it out as an EPS and I have never had any trouble. If you make the path, save the path, but don't choose clipping path, then it won't show up in InDesign unless you go to the object menu like you said.

One other thing is make sure your clipping path is "closed" with your orginal start point.
Cheers
G.

save the hassle - mask your job (as opposed to clipping paths), save as psd files and place that

I do my clipping paths the exact same way, but for some reason, if I move a point up, so high, it no longer works in InDesign. I might not be explaining this well, but picture a T-shirt. I have clipped the bottom of the shirt out, saved the clipping path, and pulled it into InDesign, and the path works fine. Then, I go back into Photoshop and pull one existing point up to the neck of the shirt and save it, and go back to InDesign, and it no longer works. I can select the path in InDesign, but I shouldn't have to. Very frustrating.

Thanks for your advise though, I think I need to do more detective work.

Kirsten

Thanks for your advise Beermonster. I could do it that way, but I still wonder what has changed. I do the paths the same as I always have. The only change is CS2 and Tiger. So, not sure what is up.

Thanks though, good idea!

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,
We use Adobe CS3 and I can't replicate your problem. Make sure you have all CS2 updates installed and if that doesn't help... sounds like a CS2 bug.

Personally, I think it depends on what effects you are trying to accomplish, so I don't favor either mask nor clipping paths.

Edited by: Tech on Jan 14, 2008 5:39 PM

Yeah, I can't replicate your problem either. Can anyone still using CS2 replicate this?

What do you mean by "mask".

Do not pull the image off the background layer and delete around it. You're creating transparent areas that will be flattened sometime and are very likely to cause unexpected results.

rich

Hey, here's a workaround solution. I noticed the same issue when I was working in Cs2.

Re-Place the image (File > Place)
When your dialog box comes up, to choose and image, on the bottom left, of your dialog. is a box that says "show import options"... Check the box, and choose your image. Another dialog pops up, asking for more info. Choose your method of clipping here.

For some reason, this method works differently than "Object > Clipping path". We spent a wallet full of money, figuring this out on press, once. I haven't even tried using "Object > Clipping path" in CS3 yet.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back